Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#248- Repurpose? (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

When I heard of the word “repurpose” from Mr. Phillip Dane … I was not sure what does it means…



Mr. Phillip Dane is a president of L.A. Event Co. (http://laeventco.com/). I met him at the L.A. Flea Market at Dodger Stadium in July 2010. The event was held by him.


                                                                                     

Last month, he opened the new style market. The key word is “repurpose”.




So…I wrote about it in my column on Senken Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper) website.




I would like to share it with you. Please read below (my translation into English from Japanese of them).


 
Title of the column: “Repurpose?” from L.A.


 
***


Updated on Oct 7, 2014 (in Japan)


By Yoko Fujimoto


Writer in Los Angeles


 


Title of the column: “Repurpose?” from L.A.




 
Recently, in the United States, “made in U.S.A. products” has been reviewed in all business area because of the impact of recession (promote employment in the United States) etc, and there are also many “handmade goods” for the purpose of thrifty.


Every Sunday, each area in L.A. such as Hollywood, Studio City held large-scale farmer’s markets, and handmade accessories or crafts has been selling along with flowers, vegetables and fruits.


Meanwhile, last month, the new style market with the theme of “craft and handmade” (every Sunday) was opened in downtown L.A. The venue is at first floor of the building such as the castle, which was built in 1924. This market’s name is “Odd Market” (http://laeventco.com/odd-market).


Clothing, accessories, miscellaneous goods, furniture, paintings, sweets etc, all of products are handmade along with “clothing, food and housing”.

 
There are 7 of food trucks (hamburgers, tacos, Korean BBQ etc) which they are trendy thing in L.A. outside of this market, and DJ and musicians are playing music at this market. We can enjoy shopping and dining with music all day in this space.

 
There are many attractive goods such as T-shirts with the theme of South California & outdoor sports “NO & YO” (www.noandyo.com), Japanese customers also love the Obi-belt of women’s & men’s “Miguel Torres” (www.migueltorresdesigns.com), Lamps repurposed by engine and pipe of trucks “Luke Hobbs Design” (www.LukeHobbsDesign.com), Handmade furniture which also sold in Japan “Against The Grain” (www.AgainstTheGrainWood.com).

 
The owner of this market is Mr. Phillip Dane who is the founder of the Melrose flea market at the Fairfax high school which is well known for Japanese tourists. He revealed the secret key word for success in L.A. “Repurpose is really fresh”.

 
Photo 1:
“Odd Market” is at Casa Vertigo (1828 Oak Street, Los Angeles)

 
Photo 2:
There are 60 venders at Odd Market

 
Photo 3:
“Both of us quit our jobs (layers) for our dream which is making T-shirts” said Ms. Isabella Noyola (left) and her husband Mr. Yanni Noyola (right)

 
Photo 4:
Obi-belt is a signature product of “Miguel Torres”. 14 years for women’s and 1 month for men’s (just debut)

 
Photo 5:
Owner & designer of “Against The Grain” Mr. Sal Tamayo and his signature furniture

 
Photo6:
The owner of “Odd Market” and the president of L.A. Event Co. (
http://laeventco.com), Mr. Phillip Dane held many events such as “L.A. Flea Market at Dodger Stadium” and “China town summer nights” etc.

 
Photo 7:
Kids T-shirts “Mexican style character”. JDN73 (
www.JDN73.com) is getting popular with these kids T-shirts, so the owner & designer Mr. Jorge Daniel Nunez started making T-shirts for women & men

 
Photo 8:
Concept is made in L.A. and urban comfort “dino apparel” (
www.dinoapparel.com). Owner & designer Ms. Suzanne Rijneveld and her popular products. These days yoga pants are popular than jeans in U.S.A.

 
Photo 9:
Harmonograph draw the pattern for T-shirts “J. Sayuri”  (
www.jsayurikimbell.com). Ms. J. Sayuri Kimbell and her space

 
Photo 10:
Full of ethnic. Accessories made of stones, glass and bones from Africa, Morocco etc. “stones, glass & bones” (
www.stonesglassbones.com)

 
Photo 11:
Accessories made of cap for spray can or recycle leather “Touch of Soulful Creations”

 
Photo 12:
The theme of the paintings is human and technology “Human Tree Robot” (
www.HumanTreeRobot.com). The artist Mr. Mark Brunner. He also sells magnets of his paintings for a refrigerator

                                                        
Photo 13:
Cake pops and cup cakes “surprise surprise bake shop” (
www.surprisesurprisebakeshop.com). Cake is in the bottle, so unique!

 
Photo 14:
Handmade chocolates and cookies “Velvet Rope Bake Shop” (
www.VelvetRopeBakeShop.com). The hand writing tags gives us the handmade feel

 
***

I hope you enjoyed window shopping on my blog… and if you are in L.A., visit “Odd Market”.

 
Oh…By the way, I’ve got a scoop from Phillip, “Odd Market Casa Vertigo monthly instead of weekly. It will be held on the 3rd Sunday of the month. And I am moving it to Thursday Nights starting Nov 6th in Studio City at Sportsmen's Lodge on Ventura and Coldwater.”

 
Life is fun, right?
Let’s enjoy together!

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Oct 7, 2014
Copyright © 2014 Yoko Fujimoto
 


Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…