Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#247- BEAUTY is in L.A. (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

These days I have been thinking about BEAUTY a lot.


My mom (who lives in Tokyo, Japan / She spent time in L.A. this summer) said, “There is a beautiful large blue sky in L.A.!!! Ocean and mountains are so beautiful. There are so many beautiful flowers and trees in L.A.!”

Yes, there are so many beautiful things in L.A.

And there are also many beautiful people in L.A.

About BEAUTY… I wrote two columns on Senken Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper) website on July 28th and Sept 9th.

I would like to share them with you. Please read below (my translation into English from Japanese of them).


Title of the column: “The behind the scene of Beauty?” from L.A. (July 28th, 2014)

Title of the column: “The model of Beauty?” from L.A. (Sept 9th, 2014)



***

Updated on July 28th, 2014 (in Japan)
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles

Title of the column: “The behind the scene of Beauty?” from L.A.


 

“Fashion + Hair + Makeup = Balance of Beauty”, so I attended the trade show for hair & makeup artists “PHAMExpo(https://www.phamexpo.com)”.

Mr. Michael O’Rourke who is a celebrity hair stylist and an owner of ROCK YOUR HAIR (http://www.rockyourhair.com) said, “Cut is the most important thing for clothing and hair”, and he emphasized that “80s fashion is back, so the big hair style will be hot.”

“80s thick eyebrows are in style. Everyone looks younger with these eyebrows” said Ms. April Love who is an owner of April Love Pro Makeup Academy (http://aprillovepromakeupacademy.com).

Mr. Stephen Dimmick who is an instructor of April Love Pro Makeup Academy and a celebrity makeup artist (http://stephendimmick.com) predicated “the key to makeup is face structure and light”. “Do curl your eyelashes, you will be a beautiful girl”, he gave us a makeup secret, and he also gave us a hard advice that “if you don’t have a beautiful mind, you are not able to look beautiful. Even though you have a makeup skill you are not able to look beautiful.”

“Important things are beautiful skin and beautiful cheek color” said Mr. Jacob Adam Aguirre who is a makeup artist (http://www.jacobadamaguirre.com).


Ms. Claudia Soare who is a president of the world famous eyebrow salon ANASTASIA Beverly Hills (http://www.anastasia.net) said, “Balance of beautiful face starts from eyebrows. Colorful makeup is the key to change our image and mood. The secret of originality is the color.”

Ms. Pamela Hackeman who is a co-owner of BEHIND THE SEEN - BTS - Organic Face & Body Care (http://www.behind-the-seen.net) said, “Most important thing of behind the scene of beauty is skin care. If you have a beautiful skin, you feel confident”.

The balance of beauty is like clothing, we need to have creativity and originality.

Photo 1: At PHAMExpo. Proud of 50 years of career, Mr. Michael O’Rourke who is a celebrity hair stylist & an owner of ROCK YOUR HAIR and his hair model

Photo 2: At PHAMExpo. Mr. Stephen Dimmick who works for VOGUE & fashion shows and his makeup model

Photo 3: At PHAMExpo. Ms. Claudia Soare who is a president of the world famous eyebrow salon ANASTASIA Beverly Hills. She has beautiful eyebrows and beautiful purple hair.



***
Updated on Sept 9th, 2014 (in Japan)
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles

Title of the column: “The model of Beauty?” from L.A.


All year round L.A. surrounded by bright blue sky, bright blue ocean, bright green trees and colorful flowers. Maybe good climate and richness of nature heal people’s mind. We notice that there are many beautiful people who have beautiful mind in L.A.

“Taking advantage of beauty, and established a beauty, keep the beauty, enjoy the beauty, create the beauty, and wears a beauty. The life of the beautiful people is beautiful for everything”. We see many people who are doing these things in L.A.

Ms. Samantha Lockwood who was born in Beverly Hills (the town symbolizes the celebrity of L.A.) and grew up in Malibu (the town can enjoy the elegant life style of L.A.), she is an actress (www.SamanthaLockwood.com ), an instructor of Bikram Yoga and an owner & designer of an accessories brandFleurings (www.Fleurings.com )”.

“Thanks to my parents I was exposed to acting and yoga all of my life. I am an actress because of my father (veteran actor Gary Lockwood) and my mother (Denise DuBarry who is a former acctress). I am also an instructor of Bikram Yoga because of my parents. They studied yoga with Mr. Bikram Choudhury in 80s. My mother believed that it was important for her children to understand that being smart and educating yourself is not a complete education for happiness and self-fulfillment through life. She really believes that taking care of yourself and your body is important,” Ms. Lockwood said.

Ms. Lockwood’s beauty secret is “To be beautiful think beautiful thoughts.”

Eat organic food, Keep healthy body with Bikram Yoga, Training your mind with meditation, and entertain people with acting, create accessories with fresh flowers and provide beautiful products to people.  Ms. Lockwood’s motto is “Enjoy the experience. Appreciate where you are on a journey”.

The model of beauty is about the life style that “touches beautiful things every day”.

Photo 1: Ms. Samantha Lockwood (©Samantha Lockwood)

Photo 2: Yoga pose of Ms. Samantha Lockwood (©Samantha Lockwood)

Photo 3: Yoga pose in the water of Ms. Samantha Lockwood (©Samantha Lockwood)

Photo 4: Neckless of Fleurings (©Samantha Lockwood)

Photo 5: Ms. Samantha Lockwood is wearing earrings of Fleurings (©Samantha Lockwood)



***
I hope you felt something BEAUTY in my columns :)

Have a beautiful day!



By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Sept 9, 2014
Copyright © 2014 Yoko Fujimoto 

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…