Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#245- “The Key to Beauty” from L.A. [Translation of my column] (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

I love spa…who doesn’t love spa? Right?


Especially I love Japanese spa (Hot springs / in Japanese, Onsen). If you have been to Japan and had an experience of Japanese spa (Onsen), you know what I mean.


 


If you have no idea what I am talking about, just ignore and keep reading my blog please :)
 
Today I am going to write about “BEAUTY”.
 
I love beautiful people and beautiful things… who doesn’t love “BEAUTY”? Right?
 
***
 
Before get to my column, I just want to share my experience at ISPA (International SPA Association) media event at Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
 
My “BEST 3” favorite places (booths) at ISPA were…
 
 
#1: I had a nice talk & back massage at the booth of Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas
 
Ms. Jennifer Lynn (director of spa at Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas) was fun to talk with.
 
 
Jennifer: We need to know your body type & character for your treatment. Would you answer to this diagnostic questionnaire?
 
Me: Ah…would you read it to me? If you read it to me, I am able to answer to these questions easier.
 
(I usually do it by myself, but at this time, I didn’t want to lose our time because their appointment for each journalist was every 15 minutes. I just wanted to talk with her. I thought she is the best person to interview. And I am a slow reader… so I needed her help to save our interview time.)
 
Jennifer: A willing leader, confident in your abilities
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: Crave new objects or recognition
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: Positive and lively and see the humorous side of things
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: Suffer from mouth sores
 
Me: No!
 
Jennifer: Prone to stuttering or talking too quickly
 
Me: Yes!!
  
Jennifer: A list maker / highly organized / neat and tidy
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: Enjoy solitude and introspection
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: Easily excited
 
Me: Yes!!
 
Jennifer: You are a Fire (Bloom / Yang) girl!! 
 
Me: What? I am not a Wood girl (Awaken / Yang)? Most of journalists and writers are a Wood right?
 
Jennifer: Fire is for entrepreneurs or executives.
 
Me: Really?
 
Jennifer: You always ask people to do things, right?
 
Me: No… I am a perfectionist, so I always do my things by myself. I don’t ask people for my things…
 
 
Oh…gosh… when I came home, I realized that Jennifer was right.
 
I asked her to read questions for me, and I asked her to write down my answers on the paper… ha ha…
 
I guess, I am a FIRE girl…ha ha…  :)
 
 
Anyway, Jennifer’s back massage was so goooood!!
 
 
#2: I had a nice talk & eat at the booth of The Oaks at Ojai
 
Ms.Cathy S. Cluff was an expert for “enjoy fine food and relax”.
 
I tasted cocoa mousse, blueberry muffin etc… She made a bottle of Italian spice.
 
Oops…I guess I am a FIRE girl again… she asked me to make own bottle of Italian spice, but I asked her to do it for me…! OMG!!!
 
Anyway, I can’t wait to visiting this place in Ojai.
 
 
#3: I had a nice talk & facial massage at the booth of Massage Envy Spa 
 
Ms. Jennifer McDaniel gave me a fabulous facial treatment.
 
 
***
 
 
Here is my translation into English of my column.
 
 
 
On Senken+
 
 
Updated on June 30, 2014 (in Japan)
 
 “I Love Los Angeles by Yoko Fujimoto” (title of my column series)
 
 
 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles
 
 
 
Title of the new column: “The Key to Beauty” from L.A.
 
 


SPA is a fashion term, but “spa” in English also has another meaning.
 


Spa is a place or resort with a mineral spring and a commercial establishment offering health and beauty treatment through such means as steam baths, exercise equipment, and massage.
 


The other day, I had attended the spa event at ISPA media event of International SPA Association, because I thought I can find the secret of beauty which is important for fashion.
 


I asked some experts of spa business about “What is beauty?”, and their answers were,
 


“Inner calm” (Ms. Lynne Mcnees, president of International SPA Association http://experienceispa.com/),
 


“Happiness of inside and out” (Ms. Cathy S. Cluff, president & CEO of the spa “The Oaks at Ojai” http://www.oaksspa.com/ ),
 


“Inner beauty of considerate to others” (Ms. Lynelle Lynch, president of the beauty school “Bellus Academy” http://www.bellusacademy.edu/ ),
 


“Mental health and Self-esteem” (Ms. Jennifer McDaniel, therapist at Massage Envy Spa http://www.massageenvy.com/ ).
 


Their all answers were emphasized inner beauty.
 


The method of get this beauty, at first most important thing is that we need to relax our body and mind. After we relax at the spa, we are able to have a space of ourselves, and then we are able to considerate to others naturally and we feel an inner beauty.
 


After all this, we eat good meals and take some facial and massage treatments, and we are going to make ourselves good looking.
 


These days Yoga and meditation are popular in U.S. Ms. Mcnees said, “If we need remove the stress, we need to stay away from computer and smartphone. Spa is the best place for this.”
 


I think that people  who have a key to beauty, which means, people who have an inner beauty and beautiful looks, these people are only people who are able to enjoy fashion truly.
 
 


Photos captions:
 
 (As you know, I don't want to post photos in my blog due to copyright issue etc. If you want to see photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/la-beauty-spa/ )
 
 
Photo 1:
Spa at Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (Photo ©Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group)
Treatments are based on the integral philosophy of the Five Elements in Traditional Chinese Medicine
 
Photo 2:
Spa at Glen Ivy Hot Springs (Photo ©Glen Ivy Hot Springs)
The spa has fun exercise program “Joy Fitness” such as aqua fitness and hoop fitness etc
 
Photo 3:
Asian salad at The Oaks at Ojai. Cocoa mousse which made of Tofu etc, there are variety of healthy food (Photo ©The Oaks at Ojai)
 
Photo 4:
Facial treatment at Glen Ivy Hot Springs (Photo ©Glen Ivy Hot Springs)
 
Photo 5:
River rock massage at The Oaks at Ojai (Photo ©The Oaks at Ojai)
There is also a massage influenced by Reiki
 
Photo 6:
Yoga class at The Oaks at Ojai (Photo ©The Oaks at Ojai)
At this time yoga is a popular exercise in U.S. and there are growing numbers of people who love meditation
 
Photo 7:
Make-up class at Bellus Academy (Photo ©Bellus Academy)
They provide advanced technology such as scalp care, LED light therapy etc. to spas
 
Thank to:
International SPA Association http://experienceispa.com/
The Oaks at Ojai http://www.oaksspa.com/
Glen Ivy Hot Springs http://www.glenivy.com/  
Massage Envy Spa http://www.massageenvy.com/
Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas http://www.mandarinoriental.com/  
 
***
 
Special many thanks to:
International SPA Association, Ms. Ms. Lynne Mcnees, Ms. Allie Hembree, Ms. Marguarite Clark (Marguarite Clark Public Relations), Ms. Kristi Turek (Marguarite Clark Public Relations), Ms. Jennifer Lynn (Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas), Ms.Ashli Kimenker (Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas), Ms.Cathy S. Cluff (The Oaks at Ojai), Ms.Sheila T. Cluff (The Oaks at Ojai), Ms. Karen Gee-McAuley (The Oaks at Ojai), Ms. Lynelle Lynch (Bellus Academy), Ms.Joanne Berry (Bellus Academy), Ms. Amy Masini (Bellus Academy), Ms.Laura Nichelson (Glen Ivy Hot Springs), Jennifer McDaniel (Massage Envy Spa) and Ms.Amanda DelPrete.
 
 
By the way, the key to beauty for me is “Organized”. Organized room, Organized mind…
 
How about you?
 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles June 30, 2014
Copyright © 2014 Yoko Fujimoto


Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…