Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#243- Malibu (L.A.) = Laidback Luxury [Sjobeck Malibu] (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

The other day, I had a fabulous, luxury and fun time with Garrett and JesseRay in Malibu.

Fabulous PEOPLE + Fabulous LUNCH + Fabulous CONVERSATION = Fabulous INTERVIEW



Fabulous PEOPLE:

Mr. Garrett Gerson

The owner of the “CALAMIGOS RANCH” (www.calamigos.com) and the founder & co-fashion designer of fashion brand “Sjobeck Malibu” (http://www.sjobeckmalibu.com)

Mr. JessRay Vasquez

The COO & co-fashion designer of fashion brand “Sjobeck Malibu”

 

Fabulous LUNCH:

Lunch with Garrett and JessRay at Malibu Café at Calamigos Ranch Country Kitchen & Bar (www.themalibucafe.com) was fabulous!!

I had a CHIPOTLE BBQ CHICKEN SALAD (romaine hearts, avocado, queso fresco, crispy tortilla strips, green onion, cilantro lime dressing). It was so fresh and delicious!

 

Fabulous CONVERSATION:

Talk + Eat + Talk + Walk (JesseRay showed me around the Ranch after lunch) = Special Lunch Time Interview for Senken-Shimbun Column

I really impressed with Garrett and JesseRay… “Good looking” & “Sweet” & “Kind” & “Intelligent” & “Creative” entrepreneurs.

They are really fun to talk with!



There are a Ferris wheel, a merry-go-round, wedding garden, wedding & special banquet rooms, company picnic places etc… within 140 acres…Wow, I had a nice walk to see some places.

After this interview, I had a big smile on my face on the way back to Eastside (Los Feliz) from Westside (Malibu).

***

Here is my translation into English of my column.

 

On Senken+


Updated on May 22, 2014 (in Japan)

 “I Love Los Angeles by Yoko Fujimoto” (title of my column series)


By Yoko Fujimoto

Writer in Los Angeles

 

Title of the new column: Malibu (L.A.) = Laidback Luxury


 

The place for relax and laidback luxury is Malibu in L.A. There are mansions of celebrities, stylish café & restaurants and boutiques by the water, Malibu Beach. We could enjoy nature and city both, and it’s a very sophisticated town.

 

Since 1947 there is a family which has a large-scale enterprise in Malibu, the fourth generation of the founder, Mr. Garrett Gerson who took over the business from his father “CALAMIGOS RANCH (www.calamigos.com)” (Restaurant & Bar, Wedding & Special Banquet Rooms, Alcohol Drug Addiction Rehabilitation Center for celebrities, Studio for a reality TV show, etc.), and he also launched the fashion brand “Sjobeck Malibu (www.sjobeckmalibu.com)”.

 

“Casual, but chic. Comfortable, but luxury” is the brand concept, and this is exactly the Malibu life style.

 

Mr. Gerson said, “We can easy to connect with people by online (SNS), but we need to connect with people direct in this kind of place like ranch, to eat a meal and to shop. The balance is important for our lives. We would like to re-think about this.”  So he is planning to launch the boutique in this Calamigos Ranch this summer.

 

The COO of “Sjobeck Malibu”, Mr. JessRay Vasquez was supposed to become a lawyer after graduated from Pepperdine University, but since he had recovered from a serious illness, “I want to work for a creative business”, and he has been changed his career path.

 

Both said, “Malibu is the best place that we can enjoy the beach, the mountain, and the city. The L.A. weather makes this town more laidback and luxury”.

 

Photos captions:

 (As you know, I don't want to post photos in my blog due to copyright issue etc. If you want to see photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/la-malibu-laidback/)

Photo 1:

Calamigos Ranch is a couple of minutes away from Malibu Beach (©Sjobeck Malibu)

Photo2:

Malibu Café at Calamigos Ranch

Photo3:

At Malibu Café

From left, Mr. JessRay Vasquez (The COO & co-fashion designer of the fashion brand “Sjobeck Malibu”), Mr. Garrett Gerson (The owner of “CALAMIGOS RANCH” and the founder & co-fashion designer of the fashion brand “Sjobeck Malibu”) and Mr. Garner Gerson (Mr. Gerson’s younger brother and financial service of  “Sjobeck Malibu”)

They live in this ranch

Photo4:

There is a big pond, many trees & green plants next to Malibu Café. This area is for a relaxing & healing time

Photo5:

At Malibu Café

Mr. Garrett Gerson (left) and Mr. JessRay Vasquez are enjoying lunch. Ducks are walking from the pond

Photo6:

The luxury life style that we sit on the wood chair on the lawn and eat organic food, only we can have this life style at ranch. The Malibu Café has a bar, so we can enjoy to eat and drink until late evening

Photo7:

By the building of Alcohol Drug Addiction Rehabilitation Center for celebrities, there is a merry-go-round!

Photo8:

There are five Wedding & Special Banquet Rooms, two Restaurants, Fitness Center & Spa for celebrities. There is also company picnic area with a Ferris wheel. It’s like a dream paradise

Photo9:

Ranch lost in a fire in 1979, so there is no ranch business anymore, but the animal lover Gerson’s family has been keeping cows, goats, ducks, and rabbits

Photo10:

One of the Wedding & Special Banquet Rooms. Many celebrities had a wedding ceremony and party at this place

Photo11:

This wedding garden has a big tree with a chandelier. It’s an amazing place. This place is a special memory place for many celebrities

Photo12:

The reality TV show “The Biggest Loser” (NBC TV) is filming the show in this ranch. There is a resort which has a theme of this show “The Biggest Loser Resort”. They have a restaurant, fitness center and spa

Photo13:

The boutique (main products are from Sjobeck Malibu) will open this summer at this ranch. They are currently building under construction

Photo14:

Sjobeck Malibu, “Sjobeck” is a Scandinavian word, means by the water. This photo is from the fall 2014 collection (©Sjobeck Malibu)

***

I can’t wait to visit Malibu café, and I can’t wait to see Garrett and JesseRay again.

If you visit Malibu Café, you will understand what I am talking about.

You will have a “Laidback Luxury” time there.

 

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles May 22, 2014
Copyright © 2014 Yoko Fujimoto 

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…