Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#236- Beverly Hills = Queen Bee (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

Last week, I had a fantastic day in Beverly Hills.


I just met Ms. Lovey Dash who is a celebrity personal shopper & stylist, but I felt like I’ve known her long time.

Lovey is a very friendly, happy and lovely person. She makes people happy.

When I wrote her name wrong (I wrote “Lovely” instead of “Lovey”) in my email, I wrote her, “I am sorry, I wrote your name wrong”.

She wrote me back, “No worries Bout my name.  Everyone calls me lovely!!!!!! I will meet you at BH conf at your designated time , if we don't float away with this rain.  I am a New York gal and I m actually loving it!!!!  any excuse to put on a pair of boots!!!!!!!!!!! see you soon Lovey”.

 

Sounds like a lovely person, right?

Yes, I was right. She is such a lovely person.

 

She said, “Shopping is experience!”

Sounds like a plan, right?

Yes, I was right. We had a fabulous time in Beverly Hills.

 

We walked, talked, ate lunch (I had a hamburger & French fries), walked, talked and had a cup of cappuccino & chocolate chip cookie. It was a perfect day in Beverly Hills.

 
And I would like to share it with you.

I wrote a column about that day on the website of Senken-Shimbun (the major Japanese fashion trade newspaper http://www.senken.co.jp).

 

***

Here is my translation into English from Japanese.

On Senken+


Updated on March 16, 2014 (in Japan)

“I Love Los Angeles by Yoko Fujimoto” (title of my column series)


By Yoko Fujimoto

Writer in Los Angeles

Title of the new column: Beverly Hills = Queen Bee


 

“Beverly Hills” is the town that gathers well known high-end brands around the world such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, and there are 5 star hotels, celebrity restaurants & spa salons and celebrities’ & wealthy peoples’ homes that tour buses drive around.

 

Ms. Lovey Dash said with delight, “Shopping is experience!” Ms. Dash has been living in this town for 32 years and loves this town. She used to work as a buyer and store manager for some boutiques in Beverly Hills, and she was a former VIP sales director for Louis Vuitton on Rodeo Drive, she is using her career experience and now she is a celebrity personal shopper & stylist.

 

Ms.Dash guided us the half day, “I recommended Sama for sunglasses which is Brad Pitt’s favorite, VHERNIER for a sophisticated beautiful jewelry, Caramella is fun for a high & low unique style, Luxe & Le Bra Lingerie for sexy feelings, THEODORE is the best high-end California casual boutique. And you can enjoy the coffee break at the café of the high-end chocolate Vosges Haut-Chocolat with chocolate chip cookie and coffee! ”

 

“Secrets of stylish people? A wonderful smile and a good posture”, said Ms. Dash with her big smile. She gave us another tip, “when you don’t feel good, you don’t need to try hard to be stylish, put on your big tops and leggings. You will feel better.”

 

Photos captions:

(As you know, I don't want to put photos in my blog due to copyright issue. If you want to see photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/33537/ ).

Photo 1:
World famous high-end brands such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Tiffany, Salvatore Ferragamo, Hermès, Dior etc. are on the main street “Rodeo Drive”. Back of the photo is Beverly Wilshire Hotel where is the primary filming location for the movie “Pretty Woman”.


Photo 2:
Expert of Beverly Hills, a personal shopper & stylist Ms. Lovey Dash. On this day, she was wearing all high-end brands except ZARA tops & leggings. Her jacket & sunglasses were Louis Vuitton, her boots were Valentino, her watch was Cartier, her bangle was Hermès and her bag was Tom Ford. Ms. Dash said, “My favorite style is mixing with high-end brands and reasonable ZARA items!”


Photo 3:
At the sunglasses boutique “Sama”. Salesperson Ms. Mona Shalaby and Ms. Dash.


Photo 4:
Actor Brad Pitt’s favorite sunglasses (right side in the back).


Photo 5:
Mr. Timothy Morzenti, the store manager of Italian jewelry brand “VHERNIER” in Beverly Hills and Ms. Dash.


Photo 6:
Italian jewelry brand “VHERNIER”’s signature design’s motif is chain.


Photo 7:
Many products can mix with high-end brands in Beverly Hills, and enjoyable for the high & low fashion at this boutique “Caramella”. The owner of this boutique Ms.Wei Meisner and Ms. Dash.


Photo 8:
At the attractive sexy underwear boutique “Luxe & Le Bra Lingerie”.  Ms. Dash recommended this Hello Kitty underwear.


Photo 9:
“THEODORE” is a trend setter, and the celebrity boutique. This boutique shows their 40 year-history from their great customers.


Photo 10:
The owner of THEODORE Ms. Leslie Letellier and Ms. Dash.


Photo 11:
Ms. Dash recommended the high-end chocolate from Chicago “Vosges Haut-Chocolat”. These are the main gourmet chocolates.


Photo 12:
The communications manager of Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau (http://www.beverlyhills.org) , Ms. Karissa Fowler introduced the guidance indicator in Japanese. “Beverly Hills is between beach and Hollywood. The Beverly Hills Hotel was born in 1912, since then there are many visitor and tourists from all over the world.”

Recommended spots are, Ms. Fowler said, “Celebrity chef restaurants are Maude from Curtis Stone, Scarpetta from Scott Conat, Spago, Cut from Wolfgang Puck, Bouchon by Thomas Keller. Gourmet food shops are Cheese Shop of Beverly Hills, Sprinkles, Beverly Hills Brownie Company, Vosges Haut-Chocolat, Edelweiss Chocolates.”


Photo 13:
The Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau displays some souvenirs regarding the Beverly Hills name and zip cord 90210.


Photo 14:
There are mug cups of Beverly Hills and there is also a bottled water of “90210” (90210 is the famous Beverly Hills zip cord).


Photo 15:
Beverly Hills was born in 1914. The City of Beverly Hills has turned 100 on January 28, 2014. The city will host many events of this 100 anniversary until end of 2014. There is a special event of 5 star hotels “Suit 100”, and there are many more great events. (Please see details at http://www.beverlyhills.org )
This photo is from The Peninsula Beverly Hills. (© Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau)


Photo 16:
There is a special event of 5 star hotels “Suit 100”. This photo is from The Beverly Hills Hotel. (© Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau)


Photo 17:
There is a special event of 5 star hotels “Suit 100”. This photo is from L'Ermitage Beverly Hills. (© Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau)


Photo 18:
“Hymn of Life: Tulips”  The art of Ms.Yayoi Kusama who is a famous artist in Japan. This artwork is at Beverly Gardens Park near Rodeo Drive. (© Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau)

 

***

Karissa sent me more information which I couldn’t write everything in my column page, so I would like to share her information on here.

 

** Celebrity chef restaurants:

*Maude from Curtis Stone, which just opened in February and features a new menu each month based around a seasonal fresh ingredient http://www.mauderestaurant.com/



*Cut (steakhouse) from Wolfgang Puck http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3789

*Bouchon by Thomas Keller (French) http://bouchonbistro.com/beverlyhills

  

** Gourmet food shops:

*Cheese Shop of Beverly Hills – unique to Beverly Hills, features more than 500 types of cheeses from around the world. Also includes fine foods like chocolate, sauces and wines.


*Sprinkles - Lines wrap around the block for Sprinkles’ cupcakes and ice cream. The only 24-hour cupcake ATM in the world is particularly popular.

*Beverly Hills Brownie Company - Decadent brownies beckon from the counter here in unique flavors. Only in Beverly Hills.

*Vosges Haut-Chocolat - Samples are plentiful inside Vosges Haut-Chocolat, including their popular Mo’s Bar (milk chocolate filled with hickory smoked bacon and sprinkled with salt). 

*Edelweiss Chocolates - Open for tours, Edelweiss Chocolates was Lucille Ball's favorite and inspired her iconic “Job Switching” assembly line I Love Lucy episode.

 

**Hotels:

*There are many hotels to choose from and each has its own signature style and unique personality.


*Five star, five diamond: The Beverly Hills Hotel  http://www.dorchestercollection.com/en/beverly-hills/the-beverly-hills-hotel ,Montage Beverly Hills http://www.montagebeverlyhills.com/ , L’Ermitage Beverly Hills http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/beverlyhills  and The Peninsula Beverly Hills http://beverlyhills.peninsula.com/en/default

*Four star: Beverly Wilshire, A Four Seasons Hotel http://www.fourseasons.com/beverlywilshire/  and The Beverly Hilton http://www.beverlyhilton.com/

 

** Shopping streets/areas:

*Rodeo Drive – filled with hundreds of designer boutiques from Chanel, Hermes and Louis Vuitton to Tiffany & Co., David Yurman and Cartier. There are also lots of sights to see like Two Rodeo, the Walk of Style and the popular bright yellow car parked outside of Bijan.

*Beverly Drive – neighboring Rodeo, this street is making a name of its own with many hip new shops and some new eateries. North Beverly Drive features shops like Iro, Sandro, Maje, Theory, Alice + Olivia and AllSaints. South Beverly Drive includes smaller one-of-a-kind boutiques.

*Wilshire Boulevard – Also known as “Department Store Row” features large department stores like Neiman Marcus, Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Avenue and Niketown.

  

** Other attractions:

*Greystone Mansion – Visit the sprawling grounds of Greystone Mansion and Park. Built in 1928, the former Doheny Estate has a fascinating history that includes murder and mystery. Celebrated as the largest home in the city, the mansion has been featured in numerous films such as Spiderman, Air Force One, There Will be Blood and Indecent Proposal. The grounds are free and open for the public to roam. 905 Loma Vista Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210.

*Beverly Gardens Park – A walk in Beverly Gardens Park also presents a unique opportunity to experience a vast and impressive collection of public art and garden landscapes including formal rose and cactus gardens. Significant art installations dot the landscape, particularly between Camden and Rexford Drives. The 15-foot wide stainless steel Erratic sculpture by Roxy Paine symbolizes a glacier’s erratic path as it is carried hundreds of miles from its origin over time. Additionally, the park showcases Barry Flanagan’s eccentric Drummer and the bold sculpture from Yayoi Kusama entitled Hymn of Life: Tulips.

*Film and Television – Head to The Paley Center for Media (465 North Beverly Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210) to peruse a library housing more than 150,000 radio and television classics. The facility allows guests to go back in time and view favorite programs, from Modern Family to Mad Men. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (8949 Wilshire Blvd Beverly Hills, CA 90211), the motion picture counterpart to The Paley Center and home to the Oscars, offers a number of rotating film-related exhibits along with screenings of classic movies. Both venues are open to the public.


***

Oh… I finally finished with this translation… it took three hours… the column is very short (only 600 words in Japanese), but I wrote 18 photos captions with a lot of information… it makes sense… right?

Anyway, I appreciate Lovey’s and Karissa’s help for my Beverly Hills column.


Did you like this column?

Do you want to visit Beverly Hills?

I hope SO…!!



By Yoko Fujimoto

Los Angeles March 15, 2014

Copyright © 2014 Yoko Fujimoto 

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…