Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#228- Bel-Air (L.A.) = Elegant [Bel-Air Film Festival] (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

Today, my new column came out on the site of Senken-Shimbun (the major Japanese fashion trade newspaper http://www.senken.co.jp ) .

You can click on my face logo on the front page of this site for a couple of days (A couple of days later, you can click on here at my column page http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf ).

If you don’t read Japanese, but you want to see scoop photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/22408/

 
Here is my translation into English from Japanese.

 
On Senken+


Updated on November 16, 2013 (in Japan)

 

“I Love Los Angeles by Yoko Fujimoto” (title of my column series)


 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles

 

Title of the new column: Bel-Air (L.A.) = Elegant


 
“Beverly Hills” is a famous town for gathering wealthy people, and next door “Bel-Air” is the town where also many multi-millionaires are living, and it’s a historic area as the luxury estate.


Ms.Melody Storm is a true lady. She was born and raised in Beverly Hills, and she used to go to Beverly Hills High School that was the story setting for a popular TV drama “Beverly Hills, 90210”.

After she worked at the PR firm for a year, she made a goal, “There are many top people of the entertainment industry (producers, directors, actors etc.) in Beverly Hills and Bel-Air. I want to contribute to my hometown for the film industry.”


In 2008 she founded the international film festival “Bel-Air Film Festival” that focus on the independent & student films.

 
In the mid October, for six days, 50 films were shown. “Producer Sam” (by the Japanese producer & script writer, Ms.Erika Fraade who lives in U.S. This film is her first film) were shown at the world premiere event and they had a red carpet gala.


This film festival is a small event and has a cozy atmosphere, and there are more people in a cocktail dress or suit than long dress or tuxedo.


The winner film of the Best Jury Feature Film, Best Jury Feature Film Directing, Best Jury Feature Film Cinematography, “Return to the Hiding Place” produced by a family in Texas (Script writer / father, Producer / daughter, Co-director / son). Producer Ms. Petra Spencer Pearce said with delight, “What an honor to receive the favorable rating by the well-known town in U.S. , Bel-Air.”


The festival is well-attended by many elegant people who fit in Bel-Air, and this film festival has a bright future.

 

Photos captions:

(As you know, I don't have photos in my blog. If you want to see photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/22408/).

 
Photo 1: The founder of Bel-Air Film Festival (http://belairfilmfestival.com), Ms. Melody Storm


Photo 2: Producer & Script writer, Ms.Erika Fraade of the romantic comedy about the middle age movie producer’s love life, “Producer Sam” (http://www.producersam.com). She talked about the red carpet gala,”I am not an actress, so I was very nervous. I walked on the red carpet with my mother who visited from Japan”. She also talked with praise highly “This film festival gave us (like me, an unknown person) a big chance. This event is wonderful.”

 
Photo 3: At the red carpet gala. The leading actor of “Producer Sam”, Mr. Michael Devorzon. “This is my first time here. I am very impressed by many attendees. It’s a cozy event and nice”, he said.


Photo 4: Staff (From the left, Actor / Mr. Matthew Abshire, Co-director / Mr. Josiah Spencer, Producer / Ms. Petra Spencer Pearce, Associate Producer / Ms. Anna C Armstrong) of the film “Return to the Hiding Place” (http://www.hide-movie.com), this film received the awards of the Best Jury Feature Film, the Best Jury Feature Film Directing, and the Best Jury Feature Film Cinematography.


Photo 5: The honoree actress, Ms. Rumer Willis (who is the daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis)


Photo 6: The honoree actor, Mr. Jayson Blair

 
Photo 7: At the red carpet gala. Actress Ms. Christina Collard

 
Photo 8: At the red carpet gala. Actress Ms. Victoria Samer

 
Photo 9: At the red carpet gala. Japanese reality TV show was shooting at this event with Ms. Riho Takada

 
Photo 10: At the red carpet gala. Well-known DJ, DJ Shy

 
Photo 11: At the red carpet gala. Actor Mr. Thomas Tevana

 
Photo 12: At the red carpet gala. This is the small version of Hollywood world.  The photographer, Ms. Beck Starr (left) of the famous stock photo agency, Getty Images. She was talking to actors and actresses while she was shooting. She is very professional and it was very fun to watch how she works (http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&assetType=image&mt=photography&p=bel+air+film+festival+2013#1 )

 
***

I watched “Producer Sam” and “Return to the Hiding Place” at the Bel-Air Film Festival.

 
 
LIFE IS FUN!

Producer Sam: I saw myself in this movie, but not in the women’s shoes, I was in the Sam’s shoes. It’s a cute romantic comedy.

What a surprise & amazing! Ms. Erika Fraade came from Japan 13 years ago, and she produced and wrote this film first time. She just applied to enter this film festival early this year. “Anything is possible”, yes I agree with her.

 

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!

Return to the Hiding Place: I was so speechless after I watched it. It’s a well done film. It’s a moving film. It’s a beautiful story about passion & love.

When I was watching the film “Producer Sam”, an anesthesiology Dr. Anna C. Armstrong, MD was next to me, and after the film we chatted a couple of minutes. She told me, “I am an associate producer of the film ‘Return to the Hiding Place’. You should come to the screening on Sunday!” Yes, thanks to her. I am glad that I saw this film. I always have luck of the timing :)

 
 
LIFE IS PASSIONATE!

I am very impressed by Ms. Melody Storm. She just started this film festival by herself without money six years ago. She is a truly creative entrepreneur. Yes, I really believe that “anything is possible”.


I love what I do every day.

I love my life.

How is your life?

I hope you are having fun in your life like me :)


Happy every day to you :)


By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles November 16, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto 

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…