Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#223- My thoughts about living in the U.S.A.

I have a Japanese blog.

Some blog posts are the same as my posts in my English blog (here), but sometimes I write a special post in my Japanese blog.

Today, I translated my Japanese blog post (on September 2, 2013 in Japan) into English.

I would like to share it with you.

Please read below.

 
***

Japanese blog

From L.A.by Yoko Fujimoto

 
My thoughts about living in the U.S.A.


Posted on September 1, 2013

 
The other day (July 30, 2013), as I wrote about my columns of Rafu Shimpo (a Japanese-English language newspaper based in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California, USA. The paper began in 1903. Rafu Shimpo is at http://www.rafu.com/), I used to write a column every month on the front page in Rafu Shimpo (the column is called “Jishin” / 20 reporters & writers are writing by a daily shift).

Between November 2002 and April 2008, I wrote a column every month in Rafu Shimpo.

Today, I was reading my old columns and I found one old column which has the perfect thoughts at this time. So I would like to share it with you.

This column is from September 14, 2004, but if I change my word from Iraq into Syria, I guess I have a same thought as my thought back then… even though it past 9 years since I wrote this column… I have same feelings…I have mix feelings about what’s happening in the world right now.

 
**

Rafu Shimpo
Jishin

On September 14th, 2004
By Yoko Fujimoto

 
Living in the U.S.A.

I have been working as a reporter for NHK (Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai / Japan Broadcasting Corporation is Japan's national public broadcasting organization) Radio show’s program “Radio Shinyabin- World Network”. Every two weeks, I report news of Los Angeles to listeners in Japan on live (by the phone). I enjoy my report, so I don’t feel like this is work.

Since I have been trying to select the news which Japanese listeners could understand how L.A. people are living, and time after time, I am starting to realized “I am Japanese who live in America”.

I have been living in America since 1989. I was supposed to go home in Japan after my acting 2 years career, but I have changed my plan and I immigrated.

When I arrived at Los Angeles International Airport with broken English, a stranger kindly helped me to transfer to other airplane (to San Diego), she held my hand and said “you are all right”. I thought how American is so kind! I was very impressed with American. I still remember about that day.

Moreover I was very impressed with America. When I was at the Madonna’s concert, I saw handicap people in the wheelchair who were enjoying the concert. I realized America is a sweet country that has accessibility systems for everyone, so everyone can independent to live their lives.

Some people say, American is always screaming “Freedom! Freedom!”, and they are interference and overweening pride people. For me, American is always accepting people and enjoying each other. If they see someone in trouble, they always help them. But at this time, when comes to Iraq situation, the wrong way support will bring danger.

I am also an interference person who is trying to help people, but recently I realized that it’s very important about the value of Japanese original “humbly thoughtfulness”. I know two cultures of two countries, so I would like to use good side of them in my life and bring to my heart. As I am a radio reporter for this program, I appreciate that I realized how America is such a great country. I look forward to living in America for longer.

**

The other day, Reuters’s Japanese article about President Obama’s Syria Decision which translated into Japanese from English was, “national interest” instead of “national security interests”. After correction, the article said, “national interest based on national security interests”.

Many Japanese readers tweeted it or wrote comments / blogs about this article. They emphasized the word of “national interest = profit”, and criticized Mr. Obama. I think this trend is very dangerous.

One word might bring the problem or quarrel.

I really want you to know, most of citizens of U.S.A. against war. They don’t want Mr. Obama plan to military action against Syria. I hope Mr. Obama will listen to the U.S. citizen’s voice and he will calm down.

No matter what, even though there are some reasons or some problems, “War, Attack, Violence and Quarrel are not the solution”. I guess, most of the people in the world believe in this.

I am proud of Japan and Japanese people, we don’t carry guns and we don’t have military. I think Japanese people really understand “what the peace is”.

I am hoping that we will bring our peaceful mind to the world.

***

How was my Japanese blog?

I said, “I think Japanese people really understand what the peace is”, but I am sure that many people know what the peace is.

Have a peaceful day to you :)

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles September 1, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#267-Kitson and KITROSS

I really think that the founder of Kitson, Mr. Fraser Kitson Ross is genius for marketing & business. He knows how to entertain customer, and he knows what L.A. is and how to enjoy L.A.




About Kitson and Fraser, I have written a lot on Senken-Shimbun and LA Celeb (their business closed, but it was a popular Japanese online shopping site), and I also made a story about Kitson on Japanese TV program (TBS TV).



At this time, I interviewed Fraser and wrote an article about Kitson, him and his new store KITROSS on Senken-Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper).



If you want to know about Kitson, Fraser and KITROSS, read below.

My translation (into English) is not perfect, but my Japanese article is more than perfect, ha ha…; )



********

Senken-Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper)

Article about Kitson and KITROSS by Yoko Fujimoto

Published on paper on June 27, 2016



■■”Kitson” re-started with “KITROSS”

■”Actually, I love L.A.”

■L.A. casual clothing and pop culture are the b…