Sunday, August 11, 2013

#220- Venice Beach (L.A.) = Free Spirit [MODERNSAINTS] (@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

I’ve got a scoop from Mr.Mik Serfontaine (a co-founder of the denim brand “Serfontaine”).

YES, I always have luck :)

So, I wrote about this scoop in my column on the website of Senken-Shimbun (major Japanese fashion trade newspaper, similar to WWD and California Apparel News).

 
***

Only 600 words in Japanese… it’s a small column, but it’s a great scoop.

 
If you read Japanese, please visit Senken-Shimbun (http://www.senken.co.jp/) and click on my face logo (on the front page for a couple of days) or click on Yoko Fujimoto of the Report+ , or visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/ .

 
If you don’t read Japanese, but you want to see scoop photos, please visit at http://www.senken.co.jp/report/oversea/yf/12546/

If you want to read this column in English, please read below. My translation is very rough (my Japanese is much better than this…ha ha!), but I hope you enjoy it!

***

 
On Senken+


 
Updated on August 12, 2013 (in Japan)

 
“I Love Los Angeles by Yoko Fujimoto” (title of my column)


By Yoko Fujimoto

Writer from Los Angeles

 
Title of the article: Venice Beach (L.A.) = Free Spirit


 
“Abbot Kinney Blvd.” in Venice Beach, West Coast is a famous shopping destination, even Japanese tourists know about it. The denim designer, Mik Serfontaine owned the boutique on this street until 2000.

 
A rock musician, an owner of the boutique, a denim brand co-founder, Mik’s dream has been changed. He founded the denim brand with his wife Maria in 2000. “Serfontaine” stood out with the colorful thick thread treatment.

 
And then, the couple’s new dream came true! This coming fall, they will introduce lady’s denim brand “MODERNSAINTS”. Mik said, “In the music industry, collaboration of rock and rap are popular now. The mix media is in. We made it with denim!”

 
Key word is “Sporty + Luxury”. The innovated denim pants have four ways stretch with a special innovated “Indigo knit”. It’s an appealing new denim brand. There are five fits such as leggings, skinny straight. Hoodie, dress etc. by lambskin, leather style of French terry etc. There are about 60 items available. In Japan, you are able to purchase them at ROSEBUD. I look forward to seeing their success.     

 
Mik’s many dreams came true and he talks about L.A. “I came to L.A. as a musician of my dream from South Africa. This town is cosmopolitan and heart of premium denim. L.A. is the best.”

 
Photo captions:

1: Founders of MODERNSAINTS (www.saintsla.com), Mik Serfontaine and his wife Maria. They work in “Downtown L.A. where is the hottest place in L.A.”, and they live in “Venice Beach where has all elements of L.A. (music, art, fashion, international people, variety of class people)”.

 
2: Maria Serfontaine said, “When I spend time in Venice Beach where has free spirit, my design ideas pop up.”

 
3: Looks and feels like a denim. Skinny pants by MODERNSAINTS.

 
4: MODERNSAINTS’s appealing leather and indigo knit tops.

 
5: This photo is only available on this column! The factory of MODERNSAINTS is in downtown L.A.

 
 (P.S. As you know, I don’t use photo/image in my blog, because copyright issue etc…I hope my readers are enjoying my blog without photo/image.)

 
***

I hope you enjoyed my scoop!

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles August 11, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto