Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#213- PB&J and Mr.Toru Hashimoto

My last week was… deadline and deadline…deadline to deadline…from early in the morning through late night, I have been working and working and working…

I usually take good time (about 20 minutes) for breakfast. Listening to the classic music and I enjoy to eat breakfast without watching TV or reading newspaper.

 

My favorite time of the day is breakfast time.

Two slices of toast with butter & jam + Scrambled eggs + Salad + Café au lait

Two ham sandwiches + Banana + Vegetable juice + Coffee with a lot of sugar & milk

Two pancakes with a lot of butter & syrup + Scrambled eggs + Salad + Café au lait

A bagel with smoked salmon & cream cheese & onion + Prune juice + Coffee with a lot of sugar & milk

Two slices of toast with butter & peanut butter + Greek-style yogurt + Salad + Café au lait

Etc…

 
But…my breakfast in last week was… Two scrambled eggs sandwiches (two slices of toast with butter & scrambled eggs & ketchup) or PB&J and Coffee (with a lot of sugar & milk) for less than 10 minutes… with pop music (I needed to wake up & eat fast & start work as soon as possible!).

What’s PB&J?

When I was working at Entrepreneur Media Inc. (As you know, Entrepreneur magazine is a North American publication that carries news stories about entrepreneurialism, small business management, and business opportunities), I found out what is the “PB&J” from my co-worker’s lunchbox.

Yes, I didn’t know about PB&J (peanut butter and jelly sandwich) until 1997 (Note: I have been living in U.S.A. since 1987).

Wow… A 2002 survey showed the average American will have eaten 2,500 of these sandwiches before graduating from high school (This info is from Wikipedia).

 
Anyway, I ate PB&J a lot last week.

***

In the meantime… I was super busy last week, but I couldn’t strongly ignore Mr.Toru Hashimoto’s comments & tweets…regarding “Fuzoku” (Translation into English from Japanese: sex entertainment business) and “Ianfu” (Translation into English from Japanese: a military prostitute or a comfort woman or an enslaved prostitute).

Mr.Toru Hashimoto is a Japanese politician and lawyer. He is the Mayor of Osaka city and, alongside Mr.Shintaro Ishihara, is co-leader of the nationalist Japan Restoration Party.

 
I wrote two tweets in English and seven tweets in Japanese regarding his comments & tweets.

My Japanese tweets were directly to Mr. Hashimoto, I hope he read my tweets…

My mother said, “what a waste of your time”… I guess, she is right… I am not sure that Mr.Hashimoto read my tweets or not?... I shouldn’t take time for my tweets for him, I should take more time for my breakfast. It makes sense… :)

***

Mr. Toru Hashimoto’s comment (#1): He has described as “necessary” the system by which women were forced to become prostitutes for World War II troops. He said on May 13th that the “comfort women” gave Japanese soldiers a chance “to rest”. “To maintain discipline in the military, it must have been necessary at that time” he said.

Mr.Toru Hashimoto’s comment (#2): He recently visited Okinawa in southern Japan and told the U.S. commander there “to make better use of the sex industry.” (Because there are many problems with rapists of U.S. troops in Okinawa, Japan). He said, “I told him that there are problems because of such formalities”. He was explaining that he was not referring to illegal prostitution but to places operating within the law. He said, “If you don't make use of those places you cannot properly control the sexual energy of those tough guys.”

 
Anyway, I just posted below my old tweets about him (in English) and to him (in Japanese).

 
My tweet in English #1:
Yoko Fujimoto(藤本庸子) @FromLAbyYoko 14 May
Why am I in U.S.A? Japanese woman is a tool for house cleaning, personal chef, give birth to a child and sex slave...
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/world/asia/japan-hashimoto-comfort-women

 
My tweet in English #2:
Yoko Fujimoto(藤本庸子) @FromLAbyYoko 14 May
Happy to live in U.S.A... Women and men should be equal :) Japanese politician calls wartime sex slaves 'necessary'
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/14/world/asia/japan-hashimoto-comfort-women

 

Thank god… Japanese language is very hard… When I translated my Japanese tweets into English… it took long time…! ha ha ha… :)

 

My Japanese tweet #1:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto #1: In 2002, Governor of Tokyo, Mr.Shintaro Ishihara said “It is a waste and a sin that women who have lost their reproductive capabilities are alive” and In 2007, Minister of Health, Mr.Yanagisawa said “Women as birth-giving machines”. The other country’s people don’t understand the words such as these words and your “male-dominated society-ish” words.

 
My Japanese tweet #2:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto #2: The Mayor of Osaka city and a co-leader of the nationalist Japan Restoration Party, Mr.Toru Hashimoto’s “Ianfu was necessary” comment like a “male-dominated society-ish” word is not going to understandable for many people in the world.

 
My Japanese tweet #3:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto #3: “Simplistic, the critic think that Japanese sex entertainment business = prostitution business = sexual intercourse”? There are many erotic animation & manga which children can see in Japan (many people think this way in the other country!) and the sex entertainment business is a legally regular business in Japan, but it’s not for many other countries.

 
My Japanese tweet #4:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto #4: I always surprised by many “frog in a well /person who is ignorant of the real world-ish” words by the old fashioned “male-dominated society-ish” people. Japan is far from the developed country (A gender equality in advance). This is the reason, why I live in U.S.A. :)

 
My Japanese tweet #5:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto #5: If we are going to progress a “globalization” (to connect to people in the world) for real, you might need to understand the Japanese women’s feelings and situation. Please try to make a comfortable country for women same as men.

 
My Japanese tweet #6:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto Regarding human rights #1: Do you also care for a Japanese women’s human rights? The Global Gender Gap Report 2012 reports, “Japan is 101st in Global Gender Gap Rankings out of 135 countries”. “Frog in a well-ish” words are not acceptable in the world. Especially, for U.S.A. Please face up to reality!

 
My Japanese tweet #7:
藤本庸子(ふじもとようこ) @USACALosAngeles 514
@t_ishin Dear Mr.Toru Hashimoto Regarding human rights #2: There are many cases like, the salary of “women who have a good career-minded & good balanced personality” is less than the salary of “men who don’t have a career-minded & have a bad personality”…I guess this case is only in Japan within developed country? Please face up to reality!

 
***

Just for your information, today’s my breakfast was… PB&J +  Scrambled eggs with cheese + Café au lait with classic music.

I feel like… I am addicted to PB&J :)

How was your breakfast?

Have a nice day!

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles May 21, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…