Sunday, April 7, 2013

#208- Fall 2013 LA Fashion Market Week!(@SENKEN-SHIMBUN /daily newspaper for fashion business)

Could you imagine? Some people are already thinking about the next fall fashion.

The other day, my article for Senken-Shimbun (major fashion trade newspaper in Japan. Similar to WWD and California Apparel News) regarding Fall 2013 LA Fashion Market Week came out, so I am going to translate the article into English from Japanese on here.

I always translate the article into English for people who I interviewed with. And I always send the copy to them with my words, “Thank you for your time & Good luck to you”.

By the way, my translation is very rough, if you have good English, please edit my translation ;)


***

Here you go!

 
Senken-Shimbun

On April 4, 2013 (in Japan)


Fall 2013 LA Fashion Market Week

The Key is “Something Special”


By Yoko Fujimoto, writer in Los Angeles

 
Fall 2013 L.A. Fashion Market Week held in Los Angeles Fashion District in Los Angeles, U.S.A. during mid-March for four days. At this time, there were four trade shows, SELECT and TRANSIT at the California Market Center (CMC), Designers and Agents (D&A) at the New Mart, and COEUR at the Cooper Design Space. FOCUS had been canceled.

Numbers of the buyers from other states, foreign countries and Japan are about the same as usual. The co-owner of COEUR (accessories & small goods trade show), Mr. Henri Myers said, “This show didn't get crowded, but we had very important buyers such as Isetan, Ron Herman, Saks Fifth Avenue.”

Winston White debuted at SELECT commented, “Our products seem like a simple design, but we made a back open design for our dresses and tops, and we put a back necklace with it. We are going to play with this concept of a back open design, and we will try to make it. Our outfits will be able to wear at the office during the day and the party during the evening, so they are perfect for consumers who are saving-conscious”.

First time exhibitor Spratters & Jayne (Handmade Scarves, Cowls and Accessories) also said, “Our detail oriented unique design products are very popular for Japanese buyers, such as Opening Ceremony and American Rag Cie in Japan.”

At D&A, JAKETT's main products for fall 2013 are motorcycle Jacket made with cotton, knit and leather combination. “It will be able to wear any kind of style, because of the wire in the collar. Buyers like something different and something special with a small detail from the other brand.” Casmari said, “Our Scotland cassimere's products are the key item. Stitches of the knit makes beautiful and colorful of the front of the cardigan, and this cardigan especially popular for Japanese buyers. TOMORROWLAND from Japan purchased it.”

At the New Mart showroom, nine o seven, denim brand STROM debuted. Swedish super model & designer, Ms. Erika Stromqvist and her husband & owner, Mr. Matthew H. Fisher established this brand. They use Japanese denim and U. S. denim, and they are making denims in Los Angeles. Selvage, hand dye, foil print are the key style, and they made over sized cuffs in the calf-length. They came up with the design idea that denim with leg warmers.

The co-owner of COEUR, Mr. Myers emphasized, “We also need a special something for a business.” He said, “Each time when important buyers came into our show, I let my exhibitors know about it by Tweet Alert. I made this system for our exhibitors for making more profits.”

In the Cooper Design Space, at the showroom EB Only Agency, Mr. David Long who has three T-Shirts brands (“The RED The WHITE The BLUE”,“Oil of LA” and “LoveLAnd”) said, “From my experience such as a co-owner of Dirtee Hollywood etc.,I have many buyers who have many different fashion taste and I have many potential business deal with them, so I made three T-shirts brands for those buyers.” For The RED The WHITE The BLUE, he made a deal with a person who has a copyright of Jimi Hendrix’s art works. Mr. Long explained, “The key of popular product by buyers is that we have something special which other companies don’t have.”

At the CMC, Liza Stewart showroom is always gets crowded, and many buyers were at this showroom at this time again. The owner of this showroom, Ms. Liza Stewart also has an own lady's brand “Butterflyzebra” (made in Los Angeles). She said, “If we have something different products or service from the other companies, we will be able to make profit for sure”, and she offered the free shipping for buyers for her 15 year anniversary for her showroom.

Next L.A. Fashion Market Week will start June 10th for four days.

 

Photos by Yoko Fujimoto (I am a photographer as well!)



P.S.  My concept of my blog is no photos, because of copyright etc… and I am hoping that people is enjoying my writings without any photos :)


Photo#1: Winston White's tops with the back open design.

Photo#2: STROM's key items and Swedish super model & designer of this brand, Ms. Erika Stromqvist and her husband & owner of this brand, Mr. Matthew H. Fisher.

Photo#3: Jimi Hendrix's art works T-shirts by The RED The WHITE The BLUE.

Photo#4: Unique design products by Spratters & Jayne are very popular for Japanese buyers.


***

My friend, Kimberly’s PR company website is at http://pureconsultinginfo.com
 
My friend, Liza’s brand website is at http://butterflyzebra.com/
 
My friend, Peri’s brand website is at http://www.perithelabel.com/
 
By the way, I have another scoop!
 
My friend, Neely re-debuted as a fashion designer for a new brand “PARADE”. (I couldn’t write about her brand at this time, but I will write about her brand soon…!)  She knows what the cool fashion is :)
 
I hope you fashionably enjoyed my blog :)
 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles April 7, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto