Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#202- The Power of Words

In Japan, we (Japanese people) believe “kotodama (it means, words have spirit/soul) ”.  “Kotodama” refers to the Japanese belief that mystical powers dwell in words and names.

This Japanese compound “kotodama” combines “koto” = “word; speech” and “tama/tamashii” = “spirit; soul” voiced as “dama” in rendaku.

Anyway, as I am a writer, when I use (write) words, I always think deeply & carefully about words, because of this “kotodama”.

I want to use beautiful & positive words for my work (newspaper, magazine etc.) as much as I can, and I try not to use ugly & negative words.

And I have a compliment file in my computer. When I organize/delete my emails in my inbox, I always save some compliment emails about me.

Once in a while, I read some compliment messages. They make me so happy, and I appreciate them (people who had sent me these compliment messages).

 
***

Here are some compliment messages from my friends etc.

 
DELIGHTFUL:

“It was nice meeting you as well. You are delightful.” (from Ms.B who I met for an interview for a newspaper)

 
GOOD ENERGY:

“I have to tell you this story. This morning, J*** (my friend’s 3 year old son) said, "I want Yoko to come over to my house." And he didn't know you were coming for Thanksgiving yet. So then I told him, "Guess what? Auntie Yoko is coming to have Thanksgiving dinner with us this year!" He is very excited about seeing you! You have made quite an impression. He knows you are a person with good energy.” (from Ms.K who is my friend)

 
SWEET:

“You are so sweet, thoughtful and smart ! Your insight, knowledge and love of the business always shines through…” (from Ms.K who I interviewed for a newspaper)

 
KIND:

“You are a very kind, generous spirit and I am lucky to know you all these years ! Hope we can share many more fun and wonderful times together....” (from Ms.K who I interviewed for a newspaper)

 
STRONG MIND:

“hahah love the tweet! and love you....you look sooooo beautiful...and i am very proud of you and your strong mind to do your novel and all the work you do....you are an inspiration !!!!!” (from Ms.N who is my friend)

 
BEAUTY INSIDE:

“Any guy would be lucky to be with you for the beauty you have on the inside, on the outside, for your amazing heart, and for your big brains!! ” (from Ms.L who is my friend)

 
EYES OPEN:

“thank you for always opening my views on things! you are an amazing person and friend THANK YOU! xxx” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
FEEL GOOD:

“awwww Yoko you're the sweet one!!!! i'm sooo happy to have YOU IN MY LIFE AGAIN!!!! ive really missed your personality and creativeness and everything else that i love about you! i remember i always used to feel so good after seeing you and i still do :)
love you, See you sooooon xxx” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
FUNNY:

“ha ha ha Yoko that's hilarious seriously funny!!! i enjoyed reading all of it.” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
INSPIRATIONS:

“i love being around you cause you give me such energy and inspirations!!! All my love to you!” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
LAUGH:

“Omg Yoko you make me laugh so much and i so enjoy reading your emails! You are such a funny writer!! I love your updates makes me happy!” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
FUNNY again:

“OMGGGGG YOKO YOU ARE TRULYYYY SO FUNNY!!! I laughed so hard when i read your email!!!” (from Ms.M who is my friend)

 
BRIGHT LIGHT:

“I said hello to A*** (who is a super model/ I interviewed her for a Japanese fashion magazine) from you and her face lit up when I mentioned your name. You are a bright light for sure!” (from Ms.B who has a big power for apparel business market)

 
WITTY:

“Thank you so much for the mention in your article; you are a great writer, very witty and charming!” (from Ms.P who I interviewed her for a newspaper)

 
GREAT WRITING STYLE:

“I just read your blog piece on Kingpins - you have a great writing style that makes it easy and entertaining to read - keep going you have a good grasp of the english language.” (from Mr.M who is a denim designer)

 
FASCINATING:

“Thank you for all your hard work. You did a great job. I think you are a fascinating and very intelligent woman. I definitely hired the right person! You are a very impressive young woman. I read your blog. Very good Yoko!” (from Mr.D who is a script writer & I worked for his script)

 
AMAZING:

“I am sure that the Editor in Japan is going to be so Impressed with your work and how promptly you completed the articles : )   And how Wonderful and interesting they are!  I learned so much from you ... really interesting : )  You're Amazing !!!!!” (from Ms.S who is my friend)

 
GREAT FRIEND:

“You are always such a Great friend to everyone : ) You really extend yourself ....” (from Ms. S who is my friend)

 
FUNNY again+again:

“You are so Funny! You really need to write a comedy about yourself!!!!! Watch out "Sex And The City" ... "Yoko And The City" ..... Coming Soon : ) I am your biggest Fan : ) You would be a huge Hit!!! Favorite episodes .... Doctors office / Car wash / Supermarket : )   (from Ms. S who is my friend)

 
TREND SETTER:

“You are a trend setter both in Writing & Fashion & Life : )” (from Ms. S who is my friend)

 
MY SITCOM:

“I am telling you ... your Sitcom would be a huge Success : ) Day in a life of Madam Yoko! ” (from Ms. S who is my friend)

 
FUNNY again+again +again:

“You are so funny : ) I Love YOUR ZEST for LIFE : )” (from Ms. S who is my friend)


***

Oops… I was going to write about the humble spirits in Japan as well, but it doesn’t go with a subject of today… (maybe next time!)


Life is “To Express Yourself”, but not “To Impress Others”, right?

And nice words are the “Compliment”, not the “Complain”, right?

Happy every day to you :)

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Feb 15, 2013
Copyright © 2013 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…