Tuesday, December 18, 2012

#198- See you next Tuesday… what?

The other night, I was catching up with my friend on the phone.

We talked for three hours… about the Connecticut elementary school massacre, holiday plans, her life, my life, etc…

When I mentioned how difficult to write in English and I told her that “I didn’t understand what my friends said on Facebook… I really need to study hard…” , she told me that “your English is fine. I might don’t understand what your friends said on Facebook either.” She is always sweet and kind.

Me: Really?

She: Really!

Me: But, the other day, I couldn’t translate the conversation on Seinfeld into Japanese…

She: No worries. The show is hard to understand sometimes, because they talk fast.

Me: Yeah? But the translation was on the paper… they don’t talk fast on the paper… I totally didn’t get what they are talking about…

She: You are fine, don’t worry.

Me: Yeah? How about “See you Tuesday” on Sex and the City episode. Even though simple words, “see” “you” “Tuesday”… I didn’t get it…

She: What? Which episode?

Me: Do you remember, Charlotte’s bridesmaid dress scene? Charlotte was mad at Samantha, and she said to Samantha, “See you Tuesday.”

She: Ok… I am going to google. Oh…you mean, “See you next Tuesday”? I found it!  “See You Next Tuesday” on Urban Dictionary. C: See, U: You, N: Next, T: Tuesday. Oh…My…God… this is very bad word…we usually don’t use this word. Worse than Bitch.

Me: Oh… I have to look up the dictionary for C…what? Could you spell it again?

She: I emailed it to you. Just take a look at it later.


Today is Tuesday. If I say to my friend who invited me to her Christmas brunch on Christmas Day (next Tuesday), ”See you next Tuesday”, does she understand this??? She is an editor/writer… she must know, right?

Then, on Christmas day, if I say to them (my friend’s family & friends), “see you next Tuesday” for New Year’s Day (Jan 1, 2013 is Tuesday!), do they get my joke???

Anyway, enjoy your holidays on Tuesday (Christmas & New Year’s Day)!

Happy Holidays to you :)  XOXO Yoko

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Dec 18, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto