Thursday, November 22, 2012

#196- My Thanksgiving Day

Tonight, when I came home, I took all my clothing off right away and I weighed myself on the scale. I gained 2 pounds from this morning. It’s good number after the Thanksgiving dinner. I am relieved to see this number… I ate slowly, enjoyed conversation and laughed so hard…so the calories of turkey & pie went to somewhere else :)

Thanksgiving dinner was fun at my friend, Suzy (Ms. Suzy Sachs / a producer ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0755194/ )’s house.

Here are some episodes from today.

***

Episode #1: Do I need iPhone…?

I always get lost, because I am usually having fun in my car (listening music or singing songs or thinking about food or doing something I like).

Today, I decided to myself… “I am trying to be fashionably late” (as I am the punctually Japanese, I am always somewhere too early)... Last time, I was too early at Suzy’s house… That’s why I was trying to be fashionably late.

Suzy’s house is 25 miles (30 minutes) away from my place. She told me, “Come to my house at 2:00pm”.

Ok… I left my place at 1:15pm (If I get lost, but I am still good… I thought), and I was having fun with 103.5 FM radio (Holiday music always makes me happy).

I was so happy and enjoying music in my car, and when I got off T Blvd., in my mind, “Great! I will be 5 minutes fashionably late!”… and and and… “Where is M Dr.???”…. I was very careful to see the street sign…“Last time, when I was here, I almost missed M Dr. sign… I have to be careful…”, but but but… “Surf shop??? What???”…  “OMG… I am driving toward to Malibu now”…

So, I called Suzy, and she told me, “I let you to talk with my boy (her 29 year old son) for the direction”… her son told me, “I’m gonna send you a direction”… “Ah… I don’t use iPhone, so I am ok, I’m gonna find M Dr.”… I just went back where I came from… I drove 20 minutes to the sign where I supposed to turn right…

I got Suzy’s house at 2:30pm. 30 minutes late… Can I still say, I am fashionably late?

Anyway, my point is… Do I need iPhone?

I just don’t want to feel like I have to work or return email right away if I have iPhone. I just need to feel free spirits, but I have too much free spirits to get lost… I should get iPhone to have…??? Oops, I got lost here…

***

Episode #2: Do I need a dictionary to play?

A shirley temple with some appetizers (Cheese, Crackers, Prosciutto, Salami, Apple pie)… I joined their game… TABOO GAME.

16 year old girl (Suzy’s daughter), 27 year old boy (Suzy’s son), 29 year old boy (Suzy’s twin son), 29 year old boy (Suzy’s twin son), 29 year old boy (Suzy’s twin son’s friend), 29 year old girl (Suzy’s sister), 29 year old boy (Suzy’s sister’s fiance) and 48 year old girl (Me!)…

At first, I said to them, “Oh… I’m gonna watch you guys”… then…Suzy’s twin son’s friend was so sweet, he told me, “I will help you”… so I played the TABOO GAME with them…

Most of the words, Suzy’s twin son’s friend helped me, but a couple of words, I made it by myself.

“Dove”… I said, “A chocolate brand name”, then someone got it.

“Allergy” … I said, “Someone have trouble with food”, then someone got it.

‘Tuxedo”… I said, “Men’s clothing. Match with a white dress”, then someone got it.

It was fun, and I lost a lot of calories to think about these words…It was a perfect game for Thanksgiving dinner.

***

Episode #3: What a wonderful meal!

Smoked turkey (Wow…Speech less… I kept saying, “Hummmmm!!!”)

Regular gravy & Wine gravy

Cranberry sauce (OMG…Suzy did a great job! Soooooooo gooooooood!)

Stuffing (I usually don’t like it, but her stuffing was delicious! Taste like a meatloaf.)

Candies yams (My favorite!!! Soooooooo sweet, Soooooooo good!)

Mashed Potatoes

Brussels sprouts with bacon (Wow…delicious! I asked the name of this dish so many times… Is this correct spelling???)

Pumpkin Pie with whip cream (Very healthy pie!)

Key lime Pie with whip cream (Very delicious pie!)

Homemade Pumpkin beer (Wow…So Thanksgiving beer. Soooooooo tasty!)

 
OMG… the turkey was so amazing! The best turkey I have ever eaten in my life. So soft and moist. Soooooooo delicious!!!

Suzy & Hunington (Suzy’s husband / his blog at http://huningtonsachsbrauerei.blogspot.com/ ) soaked turkey in beer for two days and smoked for 8 hours. Wow!

And again (If you want to know about his homemade beer story, read my old post on Sept 23, 2012 or click at http://yokofujimoto.blogspot.com/2012/09/creative-smart-people-have-creative.html) , Hunington’s homemade beer, Pumpkin beer was soooooooo good!!!

I had a glass of beer, and I couldn’t finish a bottle, so I told Hunington, “Please have some more”, and I poured beer to his glass like a GEISHA GIRL… OMG… too many bubbles… I spilled beer on the table…Oops!

Hunington said to me, “There are a lot of sugar than regular beer, so that’s why many bubbles”.

Suzy’s twin son’s friend said to me, “You can’t be a cocktail waitress! ”

Ha ha ha…I can be a geisha girl, but I can’t be a cocktail waitress for sure :)

***

When I left the house, Suzy and Hunington were so sweet, they made me two lunch boxes (one dinner box & one dessert box).

Yes, I will enjoy their Thanksgiving dinner menu tomorrow again :)

***

Moreover… I can’t believe it…I made a mistake when I entered the freeway… When I saw the 101S sign… I suddenly turned right…It was too fast at this time…I entered the shopping center…the freeway was next door…Ok… I really need iPhone or someone in my car (or the Navigator)…

Even though, I missed the entrance of the freeway, I came home within 30 minutes…

It was perfect Thanksgiving dinner.

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving dinner too.

***

By the way…

Yesterday (the 22nd in Japan) & Today (the 22nd in U.S.), I decorated my late  father’s photo, yellow daisy flowers, many candles, incense, water, some Japanese persimmons and some chocolates (my father’s favorite) on the table as a memorial service for my late father’s memorial day.

He is watching me and smiles on me…I feel him sometimes… I am very appreciating that I could feel his love.

I am always happy, because I always feel love around me. I hope you feel the same way.

Around this time, holiday music is everywhere… I really feel love from it too.

Happy Holidays to you :)

 
By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Nov 22, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto