Monday, November 5, 2012

#193- Spring/Summer 2013 L.A. is here!

The other day, my article for Senken-Shimbun (The major fashion trade newspaper in Japan. Similar to WWD and California Apparel News) regarding Spring/Summer 2013 L.A. Fashion Market Week came out, so now I can write about it in my blog.

Three words for it… “Words for everything”.

***

#1: Creative words always make people happy

David Long is a very creative & fun guy. He is my favorite T-shirts guy :)

 
Happily Ever After is so Once Upon A Time

Fuck Luck

What the Fuck Have You Done   Love is a drug

You’re in my inappropriate Thoughts

Lack of Passion is Fatal

I only chase drinks and dreams

Likers gonna like

 
These words from David are for T-shirts & hoodies of “LoveLAnd”. He has other brands, such as “The RED The WHITE The BLUE”, “Oil of LA” and “Washmill”.

David is a former fashion director for DNR (Men’s fashion newspaper). It makes sense that he is genius for words.

I am still wearing the T-shirts, “LOVE IS IN FASHION” by David (by Dirtee Hollywood). This pink T-shirts is always front row in my closet. And I am sure that the “LoveLAnd” will be my next T-shirts collection :)

If you want to know more fun & funny words from David, ask Kimberly (she is the PR person, see below).

***

#2: Sweet words always make people happy

“You are so our angel!!! ”

My friend, Kimberly Goodnight always says to me.

She is the one who is my angel. She always gives me (helps me) great information for my article and introduce me to many nice fashion designers in L.A.

During this time, we went to many showrooms, and she gave me some scoops.

Want to know more scoops from her? Visit at her website at www.pureconsultinginfo.com.

***

#3: Positive words always make people happy

My favorite bag designer is Beth Goodman of “Marie Turnor”.

It makes sense that Jil Sander copied her bag (one of her bags)… Beth is a really unique & creative designer.

She is working from her home during this economy tough time, she told me that “Nothing to lose. Start small for recession.” She is a very smart woman as well.

You want to see her bags?  Visit at her website at www.marieturnor.com.

***

I always send a copy of newspaper/magazine and translate my article into English from Japanese (most of my articles are in Japanese) for people who I interviewed with, because I want to appreciate their time and information for interview. I hope they can use my article as a PR material as well (I hope I can help their business).

Most of the time, I call them to translate my article over the phone (I read my article in English to them) after send copies out.

At this time, I translated my article into English from Japanese here in my blog, so you can enjoy it too (I hope I can help your business or shopping).

By the way, my translation is very rough, so if you have good English, please edit my translation by yourself  :)

***

Senken-Shimbun

On November 1, 2012 (in Japan)

 
Spring/Summer 2013 L.A. Fashion Market Week

Fresh denims debut

Accessories & small goods are doing well

 
By Yoko Fujimoto, writer in Los Angeles

 
Spring/Summer 2013 L.A. Fashion Market Week held in Los Angeles Fashion District in Los Angeles, U.S.A. during mid October for four days. At this time, there were five trade shows, at the California Market Center (CMC), SELECT, FOCUS and TRANSIT, at the New Mart, Designers and Agents (D&A) , and at the Cooper Design Space, COEUR. Many buyers are still buying accessories and small goods.

Accessories & small goods trade show, COEUR increases 15% sales every show. Mr.Henri Myers, the co-owner of COEUR explained, “Important stores such as Fred Segal, Ron Herman, Barneys, Isetan, Ships and Beams came to our show. Buyers are looking for products which easy and quick to make profit, so candles and gifts are good too.”

First time exhibitor, “Pura Vida” ’s waxed polyester cord bracelets are $5 (retail price), reasonable price works for buyers, and “fun of colorful and spiritual is the reason for popular for buyers as well.” Inspired by origami, envelopes, paper bags, made in L.A. purse and bags “Marie Turnor” said, “Our signature paper bag style bag copied by the major brand, but I am trying to be positive, and I am listening customer’s voice, that’s why I made larger size bags. I am trying to expand customer’s number. Waxed canvas fabric bag is fresh.”

The vice president of CMC which manages SELECT, Ms. Joanne Lee pointed out, “Accessories and small goods are strong products for recession, and buyers are looking for these products.” “Deepa Gurnani” at this trade show said, “Our annual sales increase 20~30% every year in last 5 years. Kitson, Fred Segal, Neiman Marcus, and some Japanese major stores such as Isetan, Takashimaya, United Arrows, especially Japanese buyers are buying many headbands. Consumers are not buying clothing, and they are trying to make fashionable with accessories, that’s why we are doing well.”

At the D&A, the co-owner Ms. Barbara Kramer said, “Finally, buyers, especially Japanese buyers who want to shop fresh products came back.” The co-owner, Mr.Ed Mandelbaum emphasized, “We are trying to keep as a best trade show, not as a large trade show. We are getting more selective for our exhibitor brands. ” At this trade show, the fresh denims stand out. Made in L.A., Spring 2013 debut denim, “LOREM” is using PU tapes, unique zippers, pokets with vintage style denim and western denim. “3X1” has a color blocking with super stretch color denim. The dip dye product which has beautiful color by “Fluxus” is also fresh.

“LoveLAnd” has also many dip dye products. This brand focuses on made in L.A., and L.A. pop culture concept messages printed on their T-shirts and hoodies. “The RED The WHITE The BLUE” and “Oil of LA” also focus on made in L.A., the owner and designer, Mr. David Long explained, “Make good quality products in U.S.A., this concept is good for many buyers.”

“Belle N. Matisse” also focuses on made in L.A. They appealed, “We use studs-press for collar, and we use many silk and leather. Our collection’s concept is wearing long time without trendy design.”

Ms. Yukiko Kawabata, the president of “Beagle House NY”  which sells Japanese hats and scarfs, exhibited at the SELECT, she revealed, “Even though, accessories & small goods are doing well and our sales are increasing, our sales decline 40% every year in last couple of years, because of the high exchange rate of the yen. It’s very difficult to sell Japanese brands in U.S. at this time.”

Next L.A. Fashion Market Week will start January 14th for four days.

***

By the way, I have another scoop for you!

2013 lucky feng shui colors are Orange, Blue and Gold.

French marigold flowers are in my home this week. I feel like, I have already lucky 2013 orange power :)

Anyway, have a great week to you!!!

Love,
Yoko

  

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Nov 5, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto