Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#186- Dear Anne Frank

Opening sentence:

What is your favorite book?

How did you find your favorite book?

Today, I read a newspaper (Asahi Shimbun) column about the special book fair at Books Kinokuniya in Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan (this book store is my favorite book store in Tokyo).

Books Kinokuniya lets customers choosing the book which customers like the opening sentence from 100 novels. The books are wrapped by the paper and the opening sentence is on the paper.

How wonderful idea is that we can choose a book by romantic and mysterious way.

The opening sentence is like an invitation message to me to a wonderful world from the author. If I feel good energy, passion and destiny from the opening sentence, I always enjoy it until the end.

A book is like a person. If I feel good energy, passion and destiny from the book, the book will be my great friend and I always enjoy with it. Meeting a person = Opening a book. Exciting & fun :)

My inspiration is always right, and I always enjoy with my inspiration as well.

I wish I could go to Books Kinokuniya in Shinjuku… to find a new friend.

*******

Eye opening:

My favorite book is “Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl”.

Since I read this book in Junior high school when I was 13 years old, I have been reading this book once in a while. As you know, Anne Frank (June 12, 1929 – early March 1945) was one of the most discussed Jewish victims of the Holocaust. She gained international fame posthumously after her diary was published.

Her book led me to be a writer.

I started writing a diary at age 12, but I stopped writing a diary in a week (started on Oct 27, 1976 and stopped on Nov 7, 1976). I don’t know why I started it, and I don’t know why I stopped it.

On April 25, 1977, I read and learned about the book of Anne Frank in a Japanese class, I started writing a diary at home. Since then, I am still writing a diary. Yes, I have been writing a diary for 35 years.

Anne Frank made me “eye-opening” that day (April 25, 1977).

I wrote in my diary on April 25, 1977 (at age 13), “ Today, I read a part of a diary of Anne Frank in a Japanese class. I touched by her writing. I just read a part of her diary, but it moved me. She is only 13 years old, but she is a very inspiring person (same age as me!). She sounds like she knows so many things about life. I am just living my life unintentionally, I am not thinking deep about life. Every day is just passing simply. Now, I am trying to see my life like Anne. My life is not progressing. I am a child and I am not a growing woman yet. Anne had a wonderful life. She had a full of life. Even though she was a Jewish and she had a hard time, she had a positive attitude for her life and she was a happy person. And she wrote a letter to Kitty (wrote a diary) every day. I really want to be a person like her, and I want to learn about life and I want to grow up to be a great human being. Anne passed away at 15 years old, so I want to live my life for her from now on, and I want to be a writer like her. I want to make many people happy like Anne did.”

*******

Opening my heart:

Dear Anne,

How are you?

Once in a while, I am thinking of you.

You are my inspiration. Your diary made my life change.

I really appreciate you very much.

You gave me so much of energy, joy and passion for life.

I enjoy every moment of my life and I appreciate things, because of you.

You had a dream and your dream (to publish a book / live for long time after you die) came true.

I believe that anything is possible, because of you.

You passed away at age 15, but your soul still alive and you make us happy.

I thank you to you.

Love,
Yoko

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles Aug 27, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#257- SLUT? in L.A.

Do you know about “The Slut”?I mean, “eggslut”?

If you don’t, you will enjoy my column on Senken-Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper) website.

Here is my translation of my column into English from Japanese.
Enjoy :)

***
Published on July 13, 2015 (in Japan)
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles

Title of this column: From L.A. “Slut?”
(http://www.senken.co.jp/report/downtown-la-eggslut/)

Since a few years ago, I have been noticing the egg shape sign of “eggslut” (http://www.eggslut.com) on the way to L.A. fashion district in downtown Los Angeles.

“Slut” means in Japanese “bimbo”, “whore”, “hooker” and “slut”.
“eggslut (a woman is sleeping around with eggs)”? This shocking name of the restaurant has been bringing curiosity to me.

This restaurant (“eggslut”) has a counter at the “Grand Central Market” which is also famous as a tourist popular spot, and when I drive by this place my curiosity about this place is getting bigger and bigger, because I always see a long line in front of…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…