Saturday, May 5, 2012

#174- At my apartment in Los Feliz (Archstone Los Feliz Version)

Today, people in the United States and regionally in Mexico celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

During I talked with Ms.R (my best apartment manager at my apartment complex), I realized that Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day (which is actually celebrated on September 16).

How could I misunderstand the holiday for such a long time (I have been living in U.S. since 1989)? I guess, I was thinking of this day as “eat Mexican food and have fun!” and “the date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.”

Today, I also realized that Cinco de Mayo means in Spanish, “fifth of May” (a celebration held on May 5)… the day of victory of the war…In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862…

People want (need) to have love and peace, but why people are fighting to each other?

Because we want (need) to protect our love and peace from enemies, and we want (need) to revenge people (who are enemies)?

Why people make enemies? Why people can't love people (enemies)?

Today, I am thinking of these simple questions and answer…Yes, we all know what we need to do… “Just we need to love people and make people happy (make peace)”.

********
Today, after my big deadline for work (I stayed up all night), I had a delicious “Cinco de Mayo Fiesta” lunch at my apartment complex (Archstone Los Feliz / http://www.archstoneapartments.com / I was not going to show the name of the place where I live for my safety, but I just would like to introduce this apartment company, how I love this nice company and how I love my apartment & my apartment manager, Ms.R. And, I trust people who read my blog. My readers are just nice! Right? If you are interested in this apartment, just call Ms.R) at the pool area.

YES! I ate Four Tacos (one beef taco, two chicken tacos and one potato taco), Mexican rice, Beans, Chips & Salsa and Soda.

I had a big lunch and I enjoyed the conversation with Ms.R, Ms.N (an assistant manager) and some neighbors. For two hours, we talked and ate. It was fun.

I knew it! #1: Ms.R (my best manager at our apartment complex) is a lovely perfectionist!

She does what I really want in this complex. She organizes the information for us and gives us the feedback for our request right away.

Last week, she has sent me a really kind email, “Hey Yoko, I hope this email finds you well. I haven’t seen you in a while and your last post on your blog was on April 15th so I was wondering if you’re out of town or something. I didn’t want to call you as I didn’t want to disturb you if you were sleeping or too engrossed in your writing. Please respond to this email so I know that you’re okay. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks and have a great day!” What a nice manager! She is beautiful inside and out.

I knew it! #2: The neighbor across my place (across the pool area / She lives also in front of the pool) is also a perfectionist. She always has nice flowers in the balcony and I see her cleaning often. Today, I met her (Ms.A) and she told me, she likes to clean and she is a lawyer. She is also beautiful inside and out.

I also had a nice talk with Ms.N (the other nice assistant manager), Ms.B (she is over 90 years old, and she has a beautiful love story with her late husband), Ms.A with a dog (dog’s name is Sophia Loren! Today, she wore “Cinco de Mayo” dress), Mr.M (he is from Switzerland and he always says to me, “America has wonderful freedom”) etc…

Ms.R and Ms.N made this event nice. Red, white and green balloons made cute “Mexican holiday” feels.

A couple of days ago, Ms.N had sent us an email (she is also a beautiful woman! beautiful people make a beautiful life!) ,“Cinco de Mayo Fiesta – Archstone Los Feliz Pool Area / Hip Hip Ole! Archstone Los Feliz invites you to celebrate a joyous Cinco de Mayo! Come join in the fun at the pool area. Enjoy Latin inspired savories with your friendly neighbors. Let’s have some fun under the sun! We look forward to seeing you on Saturday!!!”

When I was going home after my lunch, I told them (Ms.R and my favorite maintenance guy, Mr.R and my favorite cleaning person, Ms.E)…

Me: I stayed up all night today and I didn’t have time to go grocery shopping, so I don’t have fresh food at home. This lunch made my day! I am so sleepy right now, so I just go to bed now.

Three of them: Oh… take some more food to go for your dinner!

Me: I don’t want to take my neighbors food…

Three of them: Get some more!!!

Oh…Ms.R was so sweet, she took me to the catering service table and I got one more plate to go.

They made my day! (Especially, after my hard working days, it was so nice to receive a kindness from people and hang out with them.)

********
After this lunch, when I went to the lobby to pick up my mails (again, I didn’t have a chance to pick up my mails for a week), Mr. B (a mailman) was there. I didn’t want to bother him while he was sorting people’s mails for mail boxes of 263 unites, so I was waiting for him to finish it, but he was so nice to passed my mails to me.

Me: I always amazed that you remember my name and my apartment number out of 263 unites!

Mr.B: Oh…a beautiful nice girl like you, how could I forget your name.

Oh…he made my day too.

********
I really love to live in this beautiful apartment which managed beautifully (actually, Archstone people are all beautiful people inside and out).

Life is beautiful. I hope you are having a beautiful day as well.

P.S. The food was from catering company, TACO EL BOTANAS (phone: 818-335-4609 / email: tacoelbotanas@yahoo.com ). The owner, Elva & Leo will serve her homemade Mexican food for you.

P.S.-2 May 5 is “Children's Day (in Japanese, Kodomo No He)” in Japan. It is a Japanese national holiday which takes place annually on May 5, the fifth day of the fifth month. It is a day set aside to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness. It was designated a national holiday by the Japanese government in 1948.

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles May 5, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto