Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#170- A love letter from my mom

These days, I have many projects and I don’t have time to chat or get together with my friends.

Today, I went to the entrance hall at my apartment to get my mails (since Monday, I didn’t have a chance to pick them up).

Ms. R (an apartment community manager) is always friendly & nice, and she said to me, “Don’t work hard Yoko!”

Me: Yes, I know. I was up all night today for my deadline, so I look terrible.

Then, three of them (Ms. R, an assistant manager Ms.N and a leasing consultant Mr.A) said to me, “You look great!”

Oh… I am so happy to live here. They made my day!

Even though, tenants are nice. Mr. P said, “I haven’t seen you for a while at the fitness Center. How are you?”

Even though, a mailman is nice. Today, he (I forgot his name…!) said to me, “Yoko, you have a package from Japan!” Amazing, he remembers my name and my apartment room number! (We have 263 unites at our complex!)

********

Yes, I got a package and a letter from my mom in Tokyo, Japan. She sends me a letter once in a while. She is such a nice mom.

Today, I got two High-end chocolate boxes (including chocolate covered millefeuilles), Green tops, Pink diary (with her notes) and Instant soups (she knows, I don’t have time to cook not much these days) for my birthday presents.

My mom is a great writer. When I was a child, she always taught me how to write.

I have a “little dirty secret” with her. When I applied to the song writing contest in Japan during I was in elementary school (I was 11 years old), my mom wrote a song for me, then I (we, me & mom) won the contest! The song called, “Autumn Wind Boy”. The song was so beautiful, and the song sung by many students at elementary school all over in Japan.

Yes, I cheated the contest (but, I was not going to do it…my mom was helping at first, then she wrote everything for me)… ha ha ha!

Anyway, I love my mom’s letter. It always gives me a lot of love and positive power.

I would like to share it with you. My translation into English from my mom’s Japanese is rough. My mom’s Japanese is very beautiful than my translation. Please edit yourself and read it :)


*** Here are my mom’s notes (on my birthday, March 26 in Japan) in the pink diary (as my birthday gift).

Yoko, Happy Birthday.

It's really happy thing that you are able to celebrate your birthday many many years with good health. My best day is your birthday. My most delightful day is your birthday. Happy Birthday. I am really happy for you.

Each day, please take care of your life and have fun as long as you alive. Please live your life with your way, believe your life and enjoy your life with your freedom.

Please write many novels and essays as much as you can. You are a great writer, so you will be more successful!

Its spring, but the Japanese islands are still cold. North side of Japan has snow and South side of Japan has yellow sand (dust), and we have rain, wind and earthquake everywhere. It’s really really cold spring in Japan.


*** Here is my mom’s letter (on my birthday, March 26 in Japan).

Yoko, how are you?

I am always not worrying about you, because you are very cheerful and a vitality Yoko!!

Since March 11, 2011, we still have many strong earthquakes, and at this time, the winter weather has been in Japan. The Japanese politic is like a Japanese weather, but we can’t do anything about it, we are just watching it and we should live our life.

Sometimes I think of the Japanese islands like, “what’s going to happen to the Japanese islands”, but as you told me “if we think positive, nothing is happen to Japan”, so I am saying to myself, “we are all right” and I live everyday without worries.

I hope Japanese economy and U.S. economy will recover soon. I really think that I hope economy of every country will be good in the world.

Spring has many colorful flowers and beautiful season, so I always look forward to seeing many flowers in the spring. But we don’t have not much flowers this year, because it’s still cold. Even though, there are no buds of the cherry trees.

Guess what, we have many pretty purple flowers with pointed thin green leaf in our garden in our house. This flower makes lively in our garden. These flowers are crocuses. I wish I can show you these flowers, they are so pretty.

What is your today’s flower in your home?

I am enjoying my Christmas present from you (flower daily calendar) every day. Each day, when I open a new day, I am thinking of you. Thank you!!

Thank you very much, you always give me a thoughtful present. I am listening to the music (CD) and I am relaxing in the car (note: my mom is not driving, my younger brother is driving for her), and I put the gloves on when I go to bed, so my hand is very smooth.

I have many thoughts since a year ago, the Japan earthquake & tsunami, but I just appreciate the happiness which I am able to have a regular daily life style. I have never thought that daily life style is an important and happy thing.

Love dearly each day, Love dearly family, Love dearly friends and acquaintances, Love dearly parents and brothers & sisters, Love dearly relatives…

There are many more dearly things…Love dearly our body, Love dearly our animals and plants, Love dearly Mother Nature…

Happiness to live, Happiness to eat, Happiness to walk, Happiness to driving the car, Happiness to see things, Happiness to talk, Happiness to write, Happiness to hear, Happiness to have a family, Happiness to have friends and acquaintances, Happiness to use money, Happiness to work, Happiness to cook, Happiness to able to think, Happiness to have a place to live, there are many more happiness things…

I think that I would like to live my life to appreciate these things. I sometimes forget to appreciate each thing, but my life is getting shorter, so I really would like to appreciate each thing and take it easy, and I would like to live each day with appreciation.

Yoko’s work is to write, so you always see many things, hear many things, observe many things, think many things, read many books, analyze many things. It’s wonderful thing that you have many knowledge throughout your body. I am keeping in my mind what you told me. I really appreciate that I can learn things from you. Thank you!!

Let’s enjoy three of us (note: my mom, my brother and I) for Papa (note: my dad is dead in 1994), because life is only one time.

What are you writing lately? Please take care of yourself, because health is very important of your life, and enjoy your work.

Happy Birthday.

Right now, it’s 12:29am on March 26. I just finished this letter on your birthday.

I will call you right now!

From Mama

********

I hope you enjoy my mom’s notes and letter.

Life is very short. Please enjoy your life too :)

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
March 30, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…