Wednesday, January 11, 2012

#164- Japan is doing well!

Happy New Year to everyone!

I had a great vacation in Japan for 40 days until yesterday. Especially, I had a personal driver (my younger brother), two personal chefs (my mom and my younger brother), a house keeper (my mom), an ATM machine (my mom and my younger brother gave me cash, and they spent a lot of money on me), and a tour guide (my younger brother).

As you know, Japan is still in radiation dangers at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, but I didn't feel scare of it, and I ate a lot of food from Japan.

When I stepped into the land of Japan, I totally forgot about radiation dangers. My stomach (I love sushi and meat!) beat my brain (to be honest, I was afraid of radiation before I leave for Japan, and I didn’t want to eat sushi or meat from Japan).

I ate sushi (and sashimi / raw fish), rice (Japanese rice is the best!!!), bread (Japanese bread is the best as well), vegetable, meat, fish… seafood pizza, hamburger steak (similar to meatloaf), okonomiyaki (a Japanese pancake containing a variety of ingredients / seafood, meat, vegetable etc), shabu shabu (a Japanese variant of hot pot), nabe (varieties of Japanese steamboat dishes)…everything was sooooooo goooooood!

One apple is $4, one piece of chicken breast leg is $15, and one melon is $40. (Every Japanese super market is like the “Gelson’s” in Japan!) Food is pricy in Japan, but they are so tasty.

Highlights of my vacation #1: We (with my mom and my younger brother) stayed at the Oiso Long Beach Prince Hotel for 5 nights, and we enjoyed ocean view room, onsen (hot springs), seafood (sushi and sashimi / raw fish). My skin is like a silk, because onsen makes smooth skin.

Highlights of my vacation #2: We (with my mom and my younger brother) had a great day in Nikko. Especially, we had a great time at the Rinnoji (Rinnoji is Nikko's most important temple. It was founded by Shodo Shonin, the Buddhist monk who introduced Buddhism to Nikko in the 8th century). Main hall (The Sanbutsudo Hall) is currently undergoing major renovation works, which are scheduled to last until March 2021. During this period, the temple hall is covered by a huge scaffolding structure, but it remains open to tourists. We saw the view of renovation works (each floor / 1st -7th floor) and nice view of Nikko from the top of temple (We could see this view at this special period. We saw the view from the top of the temple!).

Highlights of my vacation #3: We ate and laughed so much (at my mom & my younger brother’s house in Tokyo).


You know what? Japan is doing well! I am very glad to see beautiful and wonderful Japan.

At the passport control and immigrant counter at LAX:

The officer: What did you do in Japan?

Me: Vacation for 40 days! I ate so many food and I gained weight (4 pounds!)!

The officer: I think Japanese food is not fattening.

Me: Not for me. I ate too much, so I need to diet as soon as possible!

The officer: Aha ha ha!


You know what? This kind of conversation is not going to happen at the passport control and immigrant counter in Japan.

I am glad to come home in L.A.!


I hope you had a great holiday season as well.

Have a wonderful 2012 :)

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
January 11, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto