Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#165- An amazing baby shower!

Between “Jet lag (I got back from Tokyo, Japan 10 days ago)” and “L.A. Fashion Market Week (interviewed fashion designers, showroom owners, and trade show directors etc / talked with friends / dinner with friends / wrote an article for Senken-newspaper)”, I shopped at the BabiesRUS and prepared for my friend, Keasha’s baby shower on the 21st, Saturday afternoon.


On Saturday, 21st, in the morning:

I was almost going to tweet, “Shower rain (we had rain in this morning) + Baby shower = Happy Saturday :)… but, the sunshine showed in the sky.

***

In the afternoon at Galia(Keasha’s mom)’s house:

It was an amazing baby shower. There were a lot of foods!!!

Yes, food is most important key of my happiness!

I said to Ms. C (Keasha’s relative), “Wow…I didn’t expect to have a dinner! The baby shower has usually finger food, cake and tea. OMG…it looks like the Thanksgiving dinner!!!”

Ms. C: Ahhaha! Black baby shower is different from the white people’s baby shower.Black people will have a lot of food at baby showers, parties, gatherings, etc.

Me: I had a big brunch at home… but I am glad that I can eat anytime, anywhere!

Ms. C: You are so funny! and you eat a lot huh! You're a fat lady in a small lady's body!

Me: Oh…what a nice compliment! Thank you! You too, you are funny! Let’s write a funny sitcom script together!!!

Ms. C: Let’s do it!!!

***

Working like an assistant of hostess (Galia):

Galia asked me to do the important job at the party. “Ask people sign the name and their home address for the guest book.”

It was fun that I walked around and talked with people (Keasha and Galia’s friend and relatives).

One of the women (of course, woman, because this party is only for women!) asked me, “Are you an owner of this house?”

Me: I wish! This house is Galia's, the mother of Keasha. I am a friend of Keasha!

I guess, I acted like an owner of the house, huh! I guess, Ms. C was right, “I have a BIG BLACK WOMAN in me…!”

***

Dinner time:

Some games later (I can’t explain about games, because I was too busy with the guest book), we had a dinner!

Oh…Before the dinner, we (37 people) held our hands and Rev. June Gatlin (Keasha’s friend. She was the spiritual advisor for Michael Jackson) gave the speech / prayer. I was next to her (lucky me!) and I felt great energy from her.

The food was amazing! Buffet style food (from the special place which Galia ordered) was like a five star hotel buffet. Salmon, Chicken, Red bean’s rice, Yellow rice (I forgot the name of the rice), Beans, Steam Vegetable, Plantain (Soooooo Gooooood! My favorite!), Macaroni and Cheese, Potato Salad, Fried Bread, Couscous, Pasta Salad, Deviled Eggs (Galia’s deviled eggs are the best!).

I think I forgot something to write in here… Today’s food in my food diary was just “Baby shower’s buffet” (Easy to write! But… it was not good for my diet…because I can't say how much I ate…!).

Oh…I remember, Mama (my mom) always says, “If you eat with happy mood, you are not going to gain weight. Enjoy your food!”.

Yes, Mama, I enjoyed today’s food :)

***

Opening gifts time:

35 guests brought many cute gifts. It was fun to watch that Keasha was opening gifts, and it was nice to hear each guest’s card's message (Keasha's friend, Ms. L was reading each card.)

****

The last part:

Cute cup cakes… yes, food is the most important for life :)

Brown and blue were the theme color for this baby shower. Brown and blue balloons were everywhere and brown & blue cup cakes were in our stomach. It was an amazing party for Keasha and her baby (she will have a baby boy in March).

Keasha’s son (age 6) said, “Mommy, your tummy is like a big fat meatball!”… Keasha is a very skinny beautiful woman and she is fat just in her stomach area at this time. Keasha is so beautiful inside and out. I am so happy to have her as my special friend.

I wish she will have a wonderful time with her new born baby boy.

***

At the door:

I got a bottle of blue chocolates with brown color ribbon. A cute gift!

Happy & Love energy were everywhere. It was a perfect party for a perfect friend.


By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
January 20, 2012
Copyright © 2012 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#257- SLUT? in L.A.

Do you know about “The Slut”?I mean, “eggslut”?

If you don’t, you will enjoy my column on Senken-Shimbun (major Japanese fashion business newspaper) website.

Here is my translation of my column into English from Japanese.
Enjoy :)

***
Published on July 13, 2015 (in Japan)
By Yoko Fujimoto
Writer in Los Angeles

Title of this column: From L.A. “Slut?”
(http://www.senken.co.jp/report/downtown-la-eggslut/)

Since a few years ago, I have been noticing the egg shape sign of “eggslut” (http://www.eggslut.com) on the way to L.A. fashion district in downtown Los Angeles.

“Slut” means in Japanese “bimbo”, “whore”, “hooker” and “slut”.
“eggslut (a woman is sleeping around with eggs)”? This shocking name of the restaurant has been bringing curiosity to me.

This restaurant (“eggslut”) has a counter at the “Grand Central Market” which is also famous as a tourist popular spot, and when I drive by this place my curiosity about this place is getting bigger and bigger, because I always see a long line in front of…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…