Monday, September 5, 2011

#156- My last summer day

After a couple of studies of “present perfect”, I finally got an answer from my friend’s friend.

My question was: Why “I got cancer” is incorrect English? I would like to know the reason. (If you want to know the details about this question, please read my blog on August 30, 2011).

Next Dr. Phil, George gave me an answer to my question.

George: Cancer is not like a cold, cancer is unable to get in an instant, so we can’t say that “I got cancer” like “I got a cold.”

Me: I knew it! A cold is easy to know when we got it, but cancer is not easy to know when we got it. I am so glad that I don’t have to think of this question anymore.

********

Yesterday, I had a fabulous day at the BBQ party at my friends (Shinako-san & Bob) ’s house.

I’ve finished my summer day perfectly! My “present perfect” was on the 4th, Sunday. My last summer day was perfect!!!

Shinako-san & Bob have a beautiful house in Ladera Ranch. Shinako-san is a great cook and they have wonderful friends. I had a wonderful time with them.

Highlights 1: Shinako-san’s home cooking / Rice-flour cake (flavored with mugwort), Spring rolls, Sushi rolls, Potato salad, Quiche, Fried calamari…and Masami-san (Shinako-san’s friend)’s home made curry & spinach pies and Baklava. I was in heaven to eat a lot of these delicious foods.

Highlights 2: Shinako-san’s husband, Bob was taking care of Korean BBQ, Chicken, Shrimps and Corn. They were also sooooooo good!!!

Highlights 3: One of a kind sake from Bruce Shinya Takano (production manager) at YAEGAKI Corporation of USA (www.yaegakiusa.com). He made the special sake for us, the sake had not pasteurized yet, and it was so fresh, mellow and sweet. The best sake I've ever tasted!

Result from these three highlights is I gain 4 pounds.

Highlights 4: Girls talk with Shinako-san, Jessica, Masami-san, Akiko-san and Emi-san. Talk, talk and talk. It was fun.

Highlights 5: Talk and laugh so much with guys, Bob, George, Michael, Hiroki-san, Hiroki-san (there are two same name guys), Bruce. Especially, George was a comedian. His daily life is so funny! I laughed so hard and I enjoyed with his many funny episodes. He should write a book for sure.

Highlight 6: George answered to my grammar question. (See above)

Result from these three highlights is I gain happiness.

From 12:45pm to 10:45pm, I had opened my mouth (eat, talk and laugh) for 10 hours and I really had a great last summer day.

I hope you had a great last summer day too. Have a nice fall :)

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
September 5, 2011
Copyright © 2011 Yoko Fujimoto