Thursday, September 8, 2011

#157- Eat and Read in fall

In Japan, Japanese people usually say and do in fall, “dokusho no aki” (autumn is the best season for reading) and “shokuyoku no aki” (autumn is a season for good appetites), because the fall (autumn) nights are long in Japan, so Japanese people have many hours to Eat and Read in fall.

Eat and Read…yes, my favorite activities at home (for me, all seasons).

By the way, my friend, K (who is an American, a very intelligent editor & writer) wrote me a perfect message before my reading. Please see below.


******** My Friend, K wrote me a kind reply to my email regarding my question about English grammar

I read your blog with the question about English grammar. It's a very good question! First, English language is well known for having inconsistencies in its rules for spelling and grammar. This is mostly because the current English language has evolved from several different languages, including German, French, and Latin. The inconsistency of spelling and grammar rules in English is something that frustrates both native speakers and English learners alike.

With regard to your question about why native English speakers will say "I got a cold" but not "I got cancer," the reason has more to do with something called "idiom" than it does with correct grammar. All languages have "idioms," which are ways of speaking that cannot be explained by grammar rules but are well known within the culture using the language. (For example, even if I learned correct Japanese grammar, I would not understand certain cultural elements of the language -- like certain phrases or figures of speech -- unless I lived in Japan for a long time.)

So within English idiom, I believe that people say "I got a cold" because you can get a cold from someone else or from touching germs. It is like saying "I caught a cold." If you look up the word "get," you will see "catch" listed as one of the meanings (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/get - See definition "2b"). But you cannot get or catch cancer from someone else like a cold. So people usually say "I have cancer" because it didn't come from anywhere else -- it's something that developed within the body itself. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, this is not an official answer but just my opinion as someone who works with English language!

********

What book are you reading now?

I prefer to eat than reading, by the way :)

And, I prefer to use “autumn” than “fall” (I know, American people use more “fall” and English people use more “autumn”)...because I don’t want to fall! ha ha ha…

Oh…but, I like to “fall” in love… :) Autumn is a great season for “fall in love” (in my mind).

Enjoy your autumn (fall) !

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
September 8, 2011
Copyright © 2011 Yoko Fujimoto