Tuesday, August 30, 2011

#155- Lost in English... (Yoko and the Apartment part 2)

I am a perfectionist, but my English is not perfect yet.

Especially, the “present perfect” (Japanese grammar don’t have “present perfect”) is trouble for me sometimes.

People say, “I got a cold” but, people don’t say, “I got cancer”. Right? Why??? Why??? Why???

People say, “I’ve got a cold” and “I’ve got cancer”. Also, people say, “I have a cold” and “I have cancer”.

So, “I got a cold” is correct grammar, and “I got cancer” is incorrect grammar??? Why??? Why people can’t say, “I got cancer”???

Because…people can feel the moment of “I got a cold”, but people can’t feel the moment of “I got cancer”...this is the reason for the incorrect grammar of “I got cancer”?

********

English grammar & words confuse me sometimes.

Today, I made confuse my apartment manager.

When I found that my rent is wrong amount on the web (my apartment web page), I went to the leasing office (down stairs) to talk to my apartment manager.

The manager wasn’t there, so I talked to the assistant manager (she is new, so I explained to her that the manager need to adjust my rent before the apartment company charge me with wrong amount of my rent).

After I came home, I wrote an email to the manager.

*** At 2:40pm (From Yoko to the manager):

Hi V***,

Would you correct my rent?

-$160

Thank you.

Have a good one.

Best,
Yoko

***

Nobody called me back…and I found out that I made a mistake on my email.

The discount amount is $180, not $160.

Shoot…

I called the office, but nobody picked up the phone, so I wrote another email to the manager.

***

At 3:20pm (From Yoko to the manager):

Hi V*** again,

I made a mistake, C*** (the apartment manager’s supervisor at the main office) told me that $180 will take off from my rent.

So it will be $****,***.

Thank you.

Yoko

***

At 3:28pm:

(My computer was so slow at the time. I didn't take 8 minutes to write an email to the assistant manager, but it seems like it. ha ha ha!)


Hi N***,

It was nice meeting you and welcome to **** (apartment place’s name).

Thank you for taking care of my trouble right away. You are a great new staff!

By the way, sorry to bother you again.

I made a mistake, C*** (from the main office) told me that $180 will take off from my rent.

So, it will be $****.***.

This is for the bad leaking trouble in my bathroom in June.

Thank you.

Have a great one.

Yoko

***

Around 3:30pm:

It’s like a comedy sitcom…(AGAIN)

The manager called me.

The manager: Hi Yoko! I adjusted your rent. Please go on the web and take a look at it.

Yoko: Oh…it wasn’t $160 off, $180 off. I’ve sent you a second email.

The manager: I know. $180, I adjusted.

Yoko: Oh, you did? Thank you!!!

***

Oh…I found out that the manager wrote me a reply at 3:20pm (see below).

I didn’t notice her email at the time, because I was busy writing the other email to the assistant manager (I thought that the manager was out of the office this afternoon.)


The manager’s email at 3:20pm (From the manager to Yoko):

Yoko,

Thank you for your email, I will adjust your rent accordingly. Please feel free to view your account on-line with the adjustment.

Thank you

***

Oh…she is so nice!

I wrote an email to her again.

***

At 3:36pm:

Hi V***,

Thank you very much for your call.

I made sure that my rent is corrected on the web.

Thank you very much for your business.

Have a great one.

Best,
Yoko

***

By the way, this adjustment supposed to happen in last month, but the manager forgot about it.

In America, I think that I have to ask many times until the problem fix.

Yes, I got a correct rent. Yeah!

Oh…no…the manager called me again around 5:00pm…

***

Around 5:00pm:

The manager: Yoko, did you see your rent amount on the web?

Yoko: Yeah…I’ve sent an email after I saw the web…why???

The manager: Oh, ok…I was not sure that your email was before or after…

Yoko: What do you mean? Before or After???? Oh…I am so sorry, I probably made a mistake on my email. I sometimes make mistakes with present tense and past tense.

The manager: Oh…I don’t think so, but I just want to make sure.

Yoko: I guess, I wrote “I made sure that my rent is corrected on the web”…instead of saying, “I confirmed my rent was corrected on the web”. I must study English…ha ha ha! Anyway, thank you for calling!!!

The manager: No problem.

Yoko: Have a great evening!

***

Did you get what I went through??? or Did I confuse you???

Tonight, I am going back to the English grammar book to study the “present perfect”.


P.S. I wonder when I get perfect English language ???

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
August 30, 2011
Copyright © 2011 Yoko Fujimoto