Saturday, March 12, 2011

#142- My heart goes out to Japan, my country / 9.0-magnitude Japan earthquake & Tsunami

9.0-magnitude Japan earthquake & Tsunami (Tōhoku Chihō Taiheiyō-oki Jishin / literally “Tōhoku region Pacific Ocean offshore earthquake”) occurred on March 11, 2011 at 2:46pm local time.

All I can do is praying for my country, Japan…please, please, please be careful and be safe everyone…My heart goes out to Japan and people in Japan.

********

On the 10th in Los Angeles around 11:00pm,when I was going to take a bath, my best friend, Suzie called me and told me about this news…

I turned on the CNN TV and saw the tragedy footages…smoke pouring from buildings and Tsunami (ocean water) rushing across fields, so many cars, ships, houses and buildings were swept away, an oil tank was burning…

“The quake was the fourth-largest in the world since 1900 and nearly 8,000 times stronger than the one which devastated Christchurch, New Zealand, last month”, said scientists.

********

For 15 hours, I couldn’t reach my mother and brother in Tokyo, Japan.

Thank god, I finally talked to my mother at 1:30pm on the 11th (L.A. time) / 6:30am on the 12th (Japan time).

Me: Oh…are you guys ok??? I am so glad that you are there!!!

My mother: Thank you. We are ok. I had never felt such a powerful earthquake.

Me: Worse than the Kantodaishinsai?

My mother: Ahahaha! Yoko, I wasn’t born during the time.

That’s right…Yes, I know...the Kantodaishinsai (The 1923 Great Kanto earthquake) was a huge earthquake in Tokyo area in September 1st, 1923 and casualty estimates range from about 100,000 to 142,000 deaths. The magnitude was 7.9.

Me: Oh…ahahaha!!! Anyway, I am so glad that you guys are ok. The phone line was busy since last night, so I was so worry about you guys!

My mother and I talked for two hours on the phone.

My mother doesn’t know how our relatives in Fukushima and Tochigi (near Tsunami Area) are doing…I hope they are ok…

********

I have sent many emails to people who I know in Japan and talked with some of them, but I have not heard from many people…

Also I am concern about the nuclear emergency in Fukushima…

Again, please, please, please be careful and be safe everyone in Japan…My heart goes out to Japan and people in Japan.

P.S. I really appreciate the friendship of my great friends, Suzie, Keasha, Marie, Maria, Amy, Kimberly, Erika, Anette, Neely, Maria and Danielle. Thank you for calling & emailing!

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
March 12, 2011
Copyright © 2011 Yoko Fujimoto