Saturday, November 20, 2010

#131- White and Red

Many people (including me) who lost loved ones believe that we can meet our loved ones in the heaven or loved ones are watching us to protect us.

October 25th, when I was watching KTLA Morning News (at 9:00am), I cried with a great story/interview and a comment of an anchor/reporter, Ms. Wendy Burch. The story was about the book, “Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms: Who and What You See Before You Die” by David Kessler.

(This KTLA TV interview, you can see at
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/04ff917c-b21e-4d71-83b5-a4d0e97dbebf/News/KTLA-Watercooler-Buzz-with-David-KesslerNews/KTLA:-Watercooler-Buzz-with-David-Kessler)

As you see, Wendy lost her father when she was 17 years old and at the time she felt peace about her father. It was so nice to hear her story.

Since, I met Wendy in March, 2009 at the fashion show (designer Ms.Galina Sobolev of SINGLE had a private preview fall 2009), I have sent some emails to Wendy and she always emailed me back with nice messages. Since Wendy was on abc7 News, I love her report with her sweet heart.

So after this story on Oct 25th morning, I wrote an email to Wendy:
“Hi Wendy, I just want to say, it was nice to hear about your father's story this morning on KTLA. It was touched...Thank you for sharing. My father passed away on Nov 22, 1994...I didn't have a chance to say good-bye to him...but I might have a chance to say "Hello again!" when I am going to heaven... :) Thank you for the story. You always have great reports and comments on the NEWS program. You always show your beautiful personality as your looks :) Good luck to you! Have a wonderful day. Best, Yoko”

Then same day at night, Wendy wrote me back:
“Hello Yoko, So good to hear from you. I hope you find comfort in being reassured that we have loved one waiting to lead us along the next journey. Be well. WENDY BURCH”

Her email comforted me.

Around the anniversary of my father's death, I always have mixed feelings. Like today’s weather, Rain and Sun, Rain and Sun…

Tomorrow is the day of my late father in Japan(There is a seventeen‐hour time difference between Tokyo and Los Angeles).

The other day, I bought ten stems of violet/purple (I thought they are violet/purple, but when I came home and found out the color of flower was wine red!) and white of gladiolus for the special decoration (with photo, candles, colorful marzipan fruits etc) for my late father.

In Japan, white and red (like the national flag of Japan) combination means celebration and happiness. White is the color of the gods. It is sacred and can represent purity (death and rebirth). White is used at weddings and funerals (for funerals, black and white combination). White is also the color of mourning. Violet/Purple is widely considered to be the color of nobility.

So, I wanted have white and violet/purple color flowers for my late father’s day at my home…

The wine red gladiolus(also seems like, kind of dark pink…),at first I thought, “oh…shoot, should I go back to the store and buy another darker(or blue or sad color) color flowers ???”, then I told myself, “Probably, Papa(my late father) wants some bright color for his day. Let’s celebrate his life in heaven!” (P.S. Wine red/Akamurasaki gladiolus meaning: Fun memory)

My late father loved fashion. He was always well-dressed (he loved Dunhill). After his death, I sometimes smell his Dunhill perfume. Yes, I really believe that he is still around me and I can see him again in the future…

Hello everyone, life is so short, please enjoy your moment with yourself and have fun with your friends and family.

Have a wonderful pre-Thanksgiving weekend and Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
Yoko

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
Nov 20, 2010

Copyright © 2010 Yoko Fujimoto