Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#120- At the GELSON’S

Me: I want to tell you that rainier cherries were soooooooo sweet last week!!!

Woman who works at the GELSON’S in Silver Lake: I know. I am glad that you liked them!

Me: Oh…I loved them! I had dinner with my friends at my home two days in a roll. My friends loved the cherries too! Could you tell me where these cherries are coming from? From California?

Woman: I don’t know…the man over there is the manager, so he can tell you about it. Do you want me to call him?

Me: Oh, it’s all right. I will walk to him. Thank you.

(I walked to the produce manager.)

Me: Hi! Can I speak to you now?

Otto (the produce manager at the GELSON’S in Silver Lake): Sure!

Me: Oh…last week I got the rainier cherries from here and they were so sweet!!! I had two times dinner at my home with friends and I served cherries after each dinner for my friends and my friends were so surprised how sweet cherries!!!

Otto: I know, the cherries have 23% sugar. Regular cherries have 16% sugar, so the cherries are the sweetest! But, the cherries were here only one week.

Me: What??? Why???

Otto: Because one tree, one season. So, it was only one time thing.

Me: Oh…My…God…!!!!!!!! (I guess, my voice was too loud! ha ha ha!) Oh…!!! So…my friends and I were lucky!

Otto: Yes, you were lucky!

Me: Could you tell me where are the cherries coming from??? I want to find out about the cherries!

Otto: The cherries are from Washington State. I am going to find out the name of the place right away for you.

(After couple of minutes. He came up to me and said.)

Otto: Here you go. (He gave me a piece of paper.) The cherries are coming from the Auvil Fruit growers.

Me: Oh…you are so kind!!! I will research more about these cherries. Thank you so much!!!

You know what, I always amazed by GELSON’S products and services.

The other day, I was wondering where are the pink toilet papers (by Scott) and the person who works here told me right away, “The pink ones are no more from May 10th (he told me exact date!). Scott discontinued the pink toilet paper. ”

You guys are amazing people! I love GELSON’S! Really high-end products and services!

Otto: Oh, thank you!

Me: Can I write about this cherry story and your name in my blog?

Otto: Sure!

Last week,the sweetest cherries were $9.40/1.75 lb ($5.99 lb instead of $7.99 lb), but it was worth it! Marie and Emi-san enjoyed them too. I am very happy that I met these cherries this year (I had only one time chance in this year! What a lucky me!)

If these rainier cherries from Auvil Fruit growers sell them in Tokyo, Japan, the price might be $100 which I got last week. I am sure that! I feel like I am really lucky to live here for many reasons!

********

Got Filet mignon. I am going to have a steak dinner with baked potato and steamed vegetables tomorrow! ha!

Got Cashew Chicken, Walnut oil & White Vinegar & Goat cheese & Avocado ($8.97 for three avocados, so I am sure that the best avocados!) & Sliced Almond. I am going to have a Kimberly’s recipe salad and Cashew Chicken for tonight’s dinner!

Got GELSON’S French Roast Coffee (I always buy Peet’s coffee or Starbucks coffee. Emi-san told me last week, “GELSON’S coffee is great”)and Chocolate Croissant package(Tomorrow’s my breakfast!).

Got more groceries from GELSON’S.

And got Yellow daisies (sorry GELSON’S…I got them from next door, TRADER JOE’S…They usually have reasonable price flowers…ha ha…) and some groceries from TRADER JOE’S.

I always park my car at the GELSON’S and shop at the TRADER JOE’S first, and then I shop at the GELSON’S later. TRADER JOE’S have small parking lot and I can’t take it, because I am not good at parking (I am a great driver, but I am not good for parking…ha ha ha!)

Recently, cashier always asks me at the TRADER JOE’S, “How was your parking?”…Do I look like a bad driver, because I am Japanese girl??? (ah…They have small parking lot and always many cars…so I guess they ask about the parking for everyone, right?)

Anyway, GELSON’S has comfortable parking lot and hand wipes (as a clean freak, I need to wipe everything include my hands). GELSON’S has high-end power and great energy, so GELSON’S products make my body & soul fresh. I feel like the positive energy from their products into my body. This store is the best in town for me.

Got fresh flowers, fruits, vegetables, meats, breads etc…What a nice feeling!

Oops…time to fix my dinner and eat!

Have a great time at your store (maybe your GELSON’S?) and have a healthy & happy life to you!

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
August 4, 2010

Copyright © 2010 Yoko Fujimoto

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…