Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#110- Women’s power at the L.A. fashion market week!

I was at the L.A. fashion market in downtown L.A. fashion district this week and I talked to many powerful women as usual.

At the California Market Center (CMC), Joanne (who is a VP of CMC) and Audrey (who is a marketing & PR of CMC), at the D&A show, Barbara(who is a co-owner of D&A), at the Star show, Giselle (who is a show director of Star show),at the fashion show Designer Launchpad Runway Show (at the CMC),Frances(who is an owner of Fashion Business Inc./presented the Designer Launchpad Runway Show), at the Liza Stewart Inc., Liza(who is an owner of this showroom at CMC)……..many more.

Especially, I had a great time with a powerful woman, Ms. Liza Stewart (who is an owner of showroom at CMC, Liza Stewart Inc.).

Liza is the one of the veteran California Market Center showroom owner and she is also one of advocate for dropping traditional weekend hours for fashion market week and scheduling buyer meetings Monday through Thursday such as “work week”.

Thanks to Liza, we don’t need to work on weekends for fashion market from now on! In my blog today, I can’t write about details (because my article of this market week is not on the Senken-newspaper/ which is a major Japanese fashion trade newspaper, similar to WWD and California Apparel News/ yet), but I can say that Liza is the most powerful woman of this fashion market week!

Even though Liza was busy for her clients and I didn’t have an appointment with her for the interview (for Senken-newspaper), she took time for me and talked with me. I really appreciate her kindness and her energy.

I enjoyed a great conversation with Liza besides work stuff as well. She told me that her father passed away over two months ago…but she is working and doing well. I really respect her attitude as a person/woman & a professional fashion person.

When my father passed away 16 years ago, I was so sad and couldn’t do anything more than four months, so I told her that “You are such a brave person and good for you!” and she said that, “still, it has been difficult but I also feel empowered and maybe that how I feel him best, with courage to live and live to the fullest every day! ”

Her father was in the fashion business and she worked with him for long time.I am sure that her father is proud of her and happy to see that the “first time work week at the L.A. fashion market week” is working well! May Liza’s father rest in peace.

********

I miss Papa (my late father) every day…especially on the father’s day…

This morning, my best friend, Suzie wrote me a nice email, “ Just thinking about you and wanted to say "HI" ...Father's Day is tomorrow and I just wanted you to know that you and your family are in my thoughts.... and Happy Thoughts for Papa : )Love, S ” What a nice friend, I have. I am sure that Papa is watching me and says, “I am glad that you have Suzie to makes you feel safe & fine.” (By the way, Suzie is my father’s favorite girl.)

No matter what, live or die…we all have own father in our heart.

Happy Father’s Day to you all! xoxo

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
June 19, 2010

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…