Thursday, January 28, 2010

#89- Good-bye to my uncle, Toshiaki-ojichan…

This morning, my mother called me from Tokyo, Japan.

“Sorry to call you early in the morning…” said to me…I knew what she was going to say next…

My uncle, Toshiaki-ojichan passed away today in Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan…

When I saw him last month during my stay in Japan for my vacation, I couldn’t (didn’t) tell him that “You are my most favorite uncle. I love you!”…because I didn’t want him to think that he is dying soon…(because Japanese don’t say often this kind of words ”I love you” to people)

Now I can say to him…

Toshiaki-ojichan, I love you!

Toshiaki-ojichan, Do you remember? Me and Masa-kun (my brother) used to call you “Ton-nichan (nichan means brother in Japanese)” when we were so small?

When I was three or four years old, you often visited us (me & my brother) and played with us. You are the only one uncle, I remember and have a good memory when I was small. I always thought that “I love Toshiaki-ojichan! He is fun person to play with!!!”

I wish I could call you Ton-nichan for forever…when you got married and had your own kids, we felt like…had to change to call you, “Toshiaki-ojichan(ojichan means uncle in Japanese)”…I felt sad that you can’t play with us and we can’t call you “Ton-nichan” anymore(because we are not small anymore)…

You are always sweet with everyone and kind to everyone. Now, you can relax in heaven…

Toshiaki-ojichan / Ton-nichan, You are my most favorite uncle. I love you!!! Please have fun with your life in heaven and hope to see you again… Good-bye for now…

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
Jan 28, 2010