Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer for newspapers,magazines as well as a journalist for TV.
I am from Tokyo, Japan and have been living in Los Angeles since 1990.
[日本語のブログFromLAby藤本庸子] fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog
[日本語のツイッター] https://twitter.com/YOKOfromLA

#85- Small talk at everywhere!

Today, I had a couple of small talk with people at my apartment, post office and Trader Joe’s.

********
At my apartment office:

When I went to get my mails near apartment office, an apartment manager stopped me and said to me,

Manager: Hi Yoko! You paid your rent on online this month right?

Me: Yeah, did you have some trouble like last time?

Manager: No, No. I want to give you this!

She gave me a cell phone holder (with our apartment logo) which could organize my phone while battery charging.

Me: Wow, it’s nice!!! Thank you!!!

Manager: We are doing a promotion for online payment this month. How is your apartment? How are you?

Me: I am good. Thank you very much for asking. Oh…by the way…

I looked at the assistant manager’s face and said to him,

Me: I am so sorry the other day I yelled at you and thank you very much for your help!

Assistant manager: Oh…my pleasure.

Manager: Did you yell at him again Yoko?

Me: I am sorry…you know me, I am always sweet, but I sometimes have a short temper! ha ha ha!

Manager: YOKO!!!

Me: That day… I couldn’t help it. The girl, you know what I am talking about. She was so loud again on Skype at the pool near by my window (where I am working).

Manager: I know…but you can’t do it, Yoko.

I yelled at him (assistant manager), because he said to me on the phone the other day, “Yoko, I went to the pool, but she was not loud for me, so I didn’t say anything to her”. So I said to him “What are you talking about??? I am the customer!!! I said, the girl is annoying, so you should take my order and you have to tell her “keep your voice down”!!! I am not talking about how you feel or how she is loud for you! She is loud for me!!! Please tell her, she is loud for me!!! OK ???!!!! ” ha ha ha…I guess, I am loud too…!

Me: I know, I won’t do it. But you know, he (assistant manager) is a great listener and he is a great assistant manager! You are lucky to have him as an assistant manager.

Manager: Thank you Yoko!

Me: By the way, I am going away for my vacation, so I will email you regarding the dates and my emergency contact name and number. Have a great day, you guys!!!

Manager & assistant manager: You too!

********

At the mail box (I was still at my apartment office floor) :

The mailman was there to sort our mails…

Me: Hi ***!

Mailman: Hi Yoko! How are you?

Me: I am great! How about you?

Mailman: I am good.

Me: I won’t bother you, I am going to wait for you…

Mailman: Ok…don’t tell anyone…(then he picked up my mails out of his box and he gave them to me…Amazing! He remembers my apartment number out of 263 unites!)

Me: Oh…thank you so much!!! Oh…by the way, I am going away, so I am going to your post office to report my vacation date.

Mailman: Oh…I can take your vacation hold card to my office.

Me: Thank you! But I am going to bring my mails as well, so I am ok. Thank you for asking!

Mailman: When are you going to Japan? Next week?

Me: From *** until ***! Are you going somewhere on your vacation?

Mailman: No, I am not going anywhere.

Me: If I don’t see you before I leave, have a nice holiday!

Mailman: Thank you. You too!

********

At the post office:

Service person: Hi, you come back on time huh!

Me: Yeah…you told me I was too early, so today I brought this vacation hold card.

Service person: Good!

Last month, I was at the post office and brought my vacation hold card, but she (service person) told me that “you are too early to submit this card. We will lose this card or we might make mistake, so you better to come back next month”.

I told her at the time, “I am Japanese and I am very organizing person, so I always do things too early, you know” and then she told me “I can see that! But we are not, so you better to come back next month for that”.

Anyway, I sent out my invoice to Senken-newspaper and some packages(Senken-newspaper and thank you notes) to people who I wrote.

I guess I am “too much positive OCD”! ha ha ha…

********

At the Trader Joe’s:

One customer (woman): Wow what you gonna do with it?

She saw me when I was looking at huge chocolate bar!

Me: Of course, I gonna bite this!!! ha ha ha!

One customer: Aha ha ha…you are right! Sounds good!


At the register:

Me: Look! So much chocolate right? These are for my family and friends in Japan!

Staff: Wow that’s nice of you. Oh…these are good! (Chicken taquitos) Did you know we stop selling these for two years and then lately we started selling these.

Me: Oh…I didn’t know about it. I didn’t notice…this week I am so busy for my work, so I can’t cook much and I need these products.

Staff: Oh…these are my favorite!

Me: Me too. Have a nice day!

Staff: Thank you. Have a nice day.


Near by the manager’s desk:

I was checking my receipt to make sure, there is no mistake on my receipt. Then store manager asked me,

Store manager: What are you doing?

Me: I am checking my receipt.

Store manager: Good for you! We sometimes scan double for one product, so you better to check your receipt. You are smart.

Me: Thank you. Look! I got so many chocolates! I love Trader Joe’s season chocolate gift box and snacks!!! Oh…but the prices are getting high compare to last year.

Store manager: You are right. This was $***, but $*** this year.

Me: But, still good products and good prices at your store. I love Trader Joe’s.

Store manager: Thank you! Have a nice day!

Me: You too!

********

I think I have to stop writing my small talk…because I have a deadline and I am going to have a “big talk” with Suzie on the phone later.

Anyway, how is your small talk today???

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
Dec 4, 2009

Popular posts from this blog

#271-Why people fight?

Why do human beings keep fighting with each other or fighting wars?

About profit?

About territory?

About religion?

About ethnicity?

About statism?

About collectivism?



Why can’t we talk instead of fight (war)?

People are trying to change others…

People don’t want to change for others…

People think “I am right, you are wrong”…



I was thinking about “how can we resolve issues of terrorism and war in this world, can we talk instead of fighting?”



And then I realized “I need to think about my issue first” (since I moved into my apartment in Montrose one year ago)… yes, I have an issue about my living situation… my upstairs neighbor (64 years old woman who is not working) has been waking me up every night (around 11:15pm, 12:15am and 1:15am) with loud squeezing footsteps (it sounds not normal & regular footsteps) for one year… I had to call police twice, and I fought with this neighbor twice…



I tried to go to bed at the same time when this neighbor goes to bed… it doesn’t work (for me late night ene…

#144- To my people, Japanese people 米国より東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へメッセージ / 海外セレブからのお見舞い&応援メッセージ -Pray for Japan(日本に祈りを捧げます)-

Sorry folks, Today, I am going to write a message in Japanese, in my native language to Japanese people. If you read Japanese, please do.

I am going to write my thoughts for Japan &Japanese people and sending prayers to Japan & people in Japan.

Love,
Yoko

P.S. I am going to write in English next time. xoxo Y

******** My Japanese blog :

From LA by 藤本庸子      
(http://fromla.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/03/pray-for-japan-.html)


東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)被災者および日本の皆様へ

このたびの東日本大震災(東北地方太平洋沖地震)により被災されたすべての方々に心からお見舞い申し上げます。そして、犠牲になられた方々とご遺族の皆様に、深くお悔やみを申し上げます。

日本にいらっしゃる皆様、どうかご無事で、早く、安心出来る暮らし、笑顔が戻ってきますように、心からお祈り申し上げます。


*** 米国でも多くの人が心を痛めており、皆様のご無事を願っています

東北・関東地方で起った大震災に心を痛めながら、私は、「米国在住のライターの私に、日本の皆様のために出来ることをしたい」と、こちらで流れるテレビニュースの画面を見つめながら、ずっと考えていました。

そうしていましたら、本日(ロサンゼルス:3月18日/日本:3月19日)、仕事でお付き合いのある茨城県在住の女性(実際にお会いしたことはありません)から、「テレビでも、世界各国からの応援メッセージをもっと放送して欲しい」とメールをいただきました。

早速、私が報道の仕事で関わっている日本のテレビ局、ラジオ局の幹部、報道記者の方々へ、この女性のメッセージを届け、放送に関してのお願いメールを送信致しました。


*** 米国在住の私に出来ることを考えてみました

このブログは2008年10月に閉じていますが、…

#272- Happy employees make happy customers

As you know many department stores (in U.S. and Japan both) are struggling these days due to consumer’s life style (online shopping, cheap fast fashion stores and discount stores).

In general people want to have a convenience life style and want to purchase reasonable price products.






Last October when I bought gift items (for myself and friend who visited this store together) at RAINS in Ojai, I was very surprised by that RAINS has a complimentary wrapping service (all Japanese department stores have a complimentary wrapping service in Japan). I was smiling on the way back to my home after I shopped at RAINS.







This spring when I heard about some Japanese department stores in country side are closing business and their towns became like a ghost town, I thought I want to find out why RAINS is doing well, and I wanted to inform some great news about RAINS to Japanese readers who are struggling in their business.

I’m glad that I did it. I met a wonderful CEO of RAINS (Mr. Alan Rains) and found…