Friday, November 27, 2009

#84- My Thanksgiving Day was…

I was in Irvine until this morning.

My Thanksgiving Day was at Yuko & Jim’s house this year.

I met Yuko about 10 years ago in Irvine during I was living in Newport Beach/Costa Mesa for 6 years (when I was working at Entrepreneur Media Inc.) We met through Japanese community on internet, since then we are great friends.

She and her husband, Jim are sweet married couple and both of them are great cook!

We had a great thanksgiving dinner and I spent a night at their house.

Thank god, they have such a beautiful Japanese guest room next to their living room (also living room/dining room has Japanese atmosphere).

I felt like I was in Japanese high end hotel’s room (high end “Ryokan” / typical Japanese style hotel). The room is a WASHITSU (TATAMI ROOM).

There are TATAMI MATS (originally meaning "folded and piled" mats are a traditional type of Japanese flooring), TOKONOMA (is a Japanese term generally referring to a built-in recessed space in a Japanese style reception room, in which items for artistic appreciation are displayed), KAKEJIKU(hung scroll art), display arts of SHODO(Japanese calligraphy) and SADO(Japanese tea ceremony), FUSUMA(are vertical rectangular panels which can slide from side to side to redefine spaces within a room), SHOJI(is a door, window or room divider consisting of translucent paper over a frame of wood which holds together a sort of grid of wood or bamboo) and many more…

In this room, I was sooooooo comfortable and I was thinking that “I don’t want to go to sleep right away, because I want to enjoy this moment”…and then, my wish came true, I couldn’t sleep for a couple of hours…(I had two cups of coffee with pumpkin pie after dinner), so of course I couldn’t sleep…! ha ha ha…

Anyway, I really enjoyed at Yuko & Jim’s house. Jim is a regular American, I mean he is a Caucasian and he loves Japanese stuff like that…That’s wonderful!

Oh, by the way, I really appreciate that President Barack Obama's deep bow to the Japanese emperor earlier this month. I thought that was a simple show of respect for Japanese culture.

Yuko and Jim are very intelligent and I always enjoy conversation with them. We ate a lot and talked a lot. It was the perfect Thanksgiving Day.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving Day.

P.S. Keasha, thank you very much for the invitation. I would like to join your family thanksgiving dinner at your mom’s house next year!

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
Nov 27, 2009