Saturday, August 1, 2009

#66- Lost in translation…

Since last week, I am working on the translation project for a lovely book.

And…lost in translation…not me…I mean my dictionary (published in Japan) lost in translation...

Too much Japanese!!! I mean there are many Japanese interpretations in the dictionary (English to Japanese or Japanese to English)

I am soooooo shock that “Compliment” = “Flatter” or “Kiss ass” in my dictionary (English to Japanese)

OMG…Japanese people don’t know how to compliment to each other ???

My mother always tells me “You have a talent!”, “You are beautiful!”,”You are smart!”, “You are funny!” more and more, nice compliments.

And I always want to express my feeling what I see or feeling for things or people with real thought which means I do compliment to people a lot ,but I don’t do “Kiss ass”.

Sometimes I see some errors in the dictionary and make me sooooo angry that they give us a wrong translation and it might give us a trouble with things or people in the world/international world.

Ok…I feel like I am complaining about something like Japanese people who always hard on themselves or humble themselves… Please don’t get me wrong, there are many nice Japanese people who do compliment to each other!

Ok…I am going back to my work…!

By the way, my project / this book make me so happy and I would like to introduce to you this book when we finish our work!

Oh…for me…never lost in translation in U.S.A. because I love U.S.A. and I know how wonderful they are!

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
August 1, 2009