Wednesday, July 1, 2009

#60- My funny face…

My green card (lawful permanent resident card in U.S.A.) will expire within the next six months and today, I went to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Application Support Center for “Biometrics” /processing my renewal card.

It was comedy show for me again… I mean…again…a bad photo of me!!!

Today, I thought this office will only take my fingerprints…but it wasn’t…Oh my god…I was so foolish…”Biometrics” means not only fingerprints…my face print as well…I mean my photo of face as well…

This morning, I took time to prepare to go to this office. I didn’t want to be late my appointment, so I was there one hour earlier than my appointment time and I was relax to wait for my fingerprints taken.

********

Me: Wow…Pink eye color??? Are there any pink eye color people in this world??? (I asked man at the office)

In the paper of applicant information worksheet (I had to fill out) at the office, I saw eye color section…Blue,Brown,Green,Gray,Hazel,Maroon,Pink and Unknown…

Pink??? Pink eye color???

Man at the office: I know…strange hun!

Me: How come there is no black eye color in this section???

Man at the office: FBI says there is no black eye color in this world. Yours is light brown hun!

Me: I thought many Japanese or Asian has black eye color…

Man at the office: There is no black eye color.

I know pink hair color person…but I never seen pink eye color person in my life.

********

There were not many people at the office today. Lucky me! I didn’t need to wait for my “Biometrics” taken.

But…oh no!!! I found out that they will take my face front photo!!! No way!!!

I had a light make up, but it wasn’t my hair & face day today…no way!!!

********

Me: Oh no…Are you going to take my face front photo??? I thought this office will only take my fingerprints…oh no…

Woman at the office: You look nice! You will be fine.

When woman was taking my fingerprints, we had a small talk.

She is from Iran and working at this office since ten years ago. I told her that I spent $10000 for this card for lawyer, but I won the green card lottery after I spent money on lawyer. I got this card quickly because of the green card lottery(lottery is free for green card) …but I spent $10000 on this. She surprised about it. I wonder…the other countries people spent money this much on this card or not???

********

When I have to take my face front photo…

Me: No…today is not my day… ten years ago…same thing happen to me, you know. I paid money to take photos at photo studio and I sent them to the office, but they didn’t use them for my card…at the LAX, I had to take a photo of me when I came back from Tokyo, Japan. I was so tired and my face look terrible at the time, you know after 9 hours on the airplane. But, the photo was side face of me, so it looks ok…but I was so mad at the time, no body told me, I had to take a photo at the airport for my green card…I felt like a criminal person at the airport.

Woman at the office: You don’t need to look at the mirror…come this way…pull off your bangs!

Shoot…only my bangs look good for my photo…I had a ponytail…so I need to have bangs to make cute face…

Me: Can I see it???

Woman at the office: You want to see it? Here you go…

Me: Oh…no…you know what…I don’t like this photo (it was like a photo of Nicole Richie’s photo at LAPD)…no way…can I take one more? Please???

Woman at the office: Nobody sees your green card. Driver license, of course many people see it, but green card…nobody.

Me: You are right…within ten years, I showed it to my family and couple of my friends…but…I see it many times…I need to have a great photo of myself on a new card…

Woman at the office: Ok…one more…I can take a photo of you.

Me: Thank you!!!

Woman at the office: Do you like it???

Me: Better than the other one…Thank you so much!!! Have a great day!!!

********

Oh…I forgot to ask one more thing…I asked the other man at the office.

Me: How come they changed from side face photo to front face photo on green card???

The other man in the office: I don’t know. Doesn’t matter…who cares?

Oh…ok…I care! What if I knew they will take a front face photo of me for my renewal green card…I could go to hair salon!!!

Next time…ten years later, 2020, I will go to hair salon before go to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Application Support Center for “Biometrics”.

********

What a day…but, but…I had fun with myself! I can’t wait to receive a renewal green card and see my funny face on the card…ha ha ha!

Tonight, my mother (who lives in Tokyo, Japan) told me on the phone, “This kind of photo, most of the people look like a criminal person…don’t worry I am sure your photo is fine. I like your ponytail, you look cute! Better without bangs, your full face is nice!”

Suzie told me on the phone, “I am sure your photo is fine. You are so picky!”

Ok…now I feel better…next my project is…renewal my passport until this fall…I will go to hair salon before go to take a photo for passport for sure!!!


By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
July 1, 2009