Wednesday, May 13, 2009

#42- No Dream Beyond My Reach

Monday, I heard the sad news, a U.S. soldier in Iraq opened fire on fellow troops at a counseling center inside a U.S. base and killed five soldiers.

I have no idea about the nightmare of war or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome…but I know how hard to lose family…

My friend, Keasha sent me an email last night and told me about the radio show in this morning. Keasha edited the biography book of Dr. Sopheap Ly and Dr.Ly was on KPBS radio 89.5 FM this morning.

When you go to KPBS Radio station web site (http://www.kpbs.org/news/these-days) then click on the subject “Local Doctor Survived Cambodia's Killing Fields” or click on here (http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/may/13/local-doctor-survived-cambodias-killing-fields), you can listen to her interview.

Dr. Sopheap Ly and her family were caught up in the national nightmare that overtook Cambodia in the 1970s the takeover by the Communist Khmer Rouge. During the four years, it's estimated more than one and a half million Cambodians were killed included her father.

It was very touchy story, but we better to know or learn the truth of someone’s life like this and we have to say “No more war”!

Dr. Sopheap Ly is an Assistant Professor of Medicine UCSD Medical School/VA Healthcare System, San Diego. Her new book, “No Dream Beyond My Reach”, is due out later this month.

I am glad that Keasha introduced me to this radio show and this book and I would like to share this story with you all, my friends and my readers. More info, please see below (Keasha’s email.)

********
Hi everyone,

Dr. Sopheap Ly, whose biography I recently edited, will be featured on KPBS radio 89.5 FM on Wednesday, May 13, from 10:00 am to 10:20 am (Pacific). You can use the link below to listen online on Wednesday (from that page, just click "Listen Now"):

http://www.kpbs.org/news/these-days

Dr. Ly's biography, No Dream Beyond My Reach, vividly chronicles how she survived the Killing Fields of Cambodia, escaped to the U.S., and graduated from Howard University's College of Medicine. Mother of twin girls born in 2008, Dr. Ly practices internal medicine in the Southern California, where she helps veterans live better lives.

Be sure to tune in Wednesday!

Best wishes,
Keasha

********

Have a wonderful one to you all!

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
May 13, 2009