Sunday, January 25, 2009

#22- My friend’s inauguration trip was…

Keasha is an African American who is from Los Angeles and she is one of my best friends who I met at Entrepreneur Magazine where we used to work together.

She and her husband(J***) & son (J********/ 3 and half year old) went to Washington DC last week for the inauguration, so I sent an email to her “How was the trip?”…and she wrote me back a wonderful and fun email today.

I would like to share it with you who read my blog…because we can feel the real inauguration day and African American’s real feeling on that day and today.

I really glad that Keasha is my special friend, because I always learn many beautiful things from her.


******* Here is Keasha’s email on today*******(I got a permission from Keasha to share her email with you all.)


Hi Family,

C****, L**** & Yoko -- thanks for asking about the inauguration trip. Being in DC for the inauguration was great, although we were thrown off by an unexpected overnight layover in NY and basically lost a day. We spent most of Monday morning recovering (and we had to go back to the airport that afternoon to get our bags). Monday night, we attended an inaugural reception at the Smithsonian Museum of African Art, where J***'s cousin D****** and her African dance group performed.

It was too cold for us to take J******** out on the National Mall in the early morning on Inauguration Day, but we got out there later and saw the parade. Even in the short time we were out there, J********'s hands got very cold and started hurting, and I had to take off his gloves and put his hands in my mouth to warm them up quickly so he wouldn't get frostbite. (We later learned that some people we know did get frostbite from standing out there so long.)

On Wednesday, we took J******** to see the White House. There were lots of people out there taking pictures. One native Washingtonian stopped us and said he had never seen so many black people visiting the White House. That makes sense, since we've never had this kind of investment in a president. It's a big deal to be represented at the highest level after so long, and people recognize that.

On the subway Wednesday evening on our way to visit D******'s African dance class, J******** was on J***'s lap, and they were sitting next to a woman who was reading the newspaper, which of course had photos of the new president. J******** turned to me and said: "Mommy, I want to be Barack Obama." So that was really a moment for us and everyone nearby who heard him say it. Our children will have an entirely different perception of what is possible...

When we got to the dance class, the drummers invited J******** to join in -- and he did! And he was good at it! We were amazed at how long he stayed with the drumming, and he was right on beat, too. He even came over to me at one point and asked me to roll up his sleeves. He had his own drum, and he was really into it! We got some good video of him. At the end of the class, the lead drummer gave J******** $1 for his work, so Grandpa E**** will be pleased to know that J******** had his first paid musical gig!

That night, we had a cozy family dinner at J***'s Auntie J*'s house with cousins D****** and M*****, and J***'s mom. We had a good time...

Talk to you soon,
Keasha

**********************************************


Her son J********…he is only 3.5 years old and he said that ” Mommy, I want to be Barack Obama.” Wow, Obama gives us so many hopes and power of happiness.

I am glad that I am in U.S.A. at this moment.

By Yoko Fujimoto
Los Angeles
Jan 25, 2009